W124 Coupe Passenger door lock mechanism removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adile220

Car
1996 W124 E220 Coupe
Hi All,

After the door stopped locking, I decided to have a go at removing the locking mechanism to see if I can do anything about it...

After removing the door panel (stage 1), I have managed to release the locking mechanism, but not been able to remove it from the door - something still seems to be holding on to it.

I wish I had taken pics, and may do so to get better advice on the issue, but I managed to remove the exterior handle also, and still no luck.

I have searched both on Google and here, and have managed to get so far with what was found.

Is there anyone who may be able to help me take the next steps to remove the mechanism?

I may need to send the car to someone if not - I am in Bromley, Kent if anyone knows of someone competent.

Many Thanks,

Adil

Anyone?

Door has been manually locked so does not open until I can find a resolution.

No recommendations either?

Help!

adil

Have you slackened the lock retaining grub screw? It is covered by a plastic bung, inside the door edge right by the lock.
If so, the next procedure is to insert the key, turn clockwise about 60 Deg. lock should then pull out?

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Thank you for this.

I have been able to remove the lock using this method, although the key went all the way around - I hope this hasn't damaged the lock!

The final stage is to remove the lock mechanism from inside the door - any other clues on how this is done would be appreciated.

Best,

adil

Are you saying that the door won’t lock when the key is turned in the door handle?

It is more likely to be the lock barrel that is causing the problem than the main body of the lock inside the door, you should first remove the opposite door lock barrel to make a comparison in the way both lock barrel look and function.

The key should only turn a quarter turn to the left or right when locking and unlocking and not revolve within the lock barrel.
It may be possible to swap over the passenger lock barrel to the driver’s side door as a possible partial solution to the problem.

Always take pictures as you go, the can be very useful later to illustrate what the problem is.

Dec

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for the input.

The key turns fine in the barrel - the initial issue was the door would not lock.

I believe there is a bent tab within the lock mechanism inside the door as I have been able to manually lock it with the door card off - I do not think there is enough leverage for the lock to engage as a part of the casing seems to be bent.

However, to inspect the lock mechanism, I need to remove it from the inside of the door which I am having trouble with, as despite taking all the screws in and around the mechanism out, including the door handle, something seems to be holding it in place.

Best,

adil

Hi Grober,

That is very close to what I am after - it seems to be a lot more simple on the sedan, as I have taken a few more bolts and items off on my coupe to get to the stage I am at.

I will try to do as the directions suggest:
'Lower door lock in downward direction and swivel in forward direction around rear window running rail.'

Many thanks,

Adil

Hi All,

Took some pictures whilst trying to correct this - have encountered some further issues.

Found the tab that was bent and straightened it - put the mechanism back together and it worked fine for a day - however has developed another issue.

When locking the car, the rod that moves up and down on locking and unlocking the car (cant think what else to call it), moves as it should, however on locking (or moving down), it goes down but a pulse of resistance pops it back up ever so slightly but leaves the door open.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Some pictures of the inside of the door:

IMG-20131005-01023.jpg

IMG-20131005-01025.jpg

Also, can someone advise on whether the retaining spring is on correctly?:

IMG-20131005-01033.jpg

Finally - anyone know where this goes!...

IMG-20131005-01028.jpg

IMG-20131005-01030.jpg

Thanks all - helping me keep her on the road with the advice!

Regards,

Adil

The last picture I am pretty sure is a rain cover that fits inside the door over the central locking door latch part...

As above the last two pictures look like anti tamper/rain covers to proect the lock from an attack from a Slim Jim

The purpose of the spring is centre the key in the lock, your spring looks to be attached wrong , perhaps that is why when you lock it unlocks again as the spring brings the lock rod back up, not familiar with that lock but the pictures below should help.

Edit, just to be clear, in my first picture below, the 2 images to the right show an incorrectly fitted spring, the 2 to the left are correct.

attachment.php

Below picture source… Guide to disassembling and fixing lock barrels on a 190E (W201) - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums
The spring in the below picture is correct.

Dec
COMPLETELOCK.jpg

Last edited:
Just to correct myself again, of the four images below, only the top right image is wrong the other 3 images of the spring fitting are correct. Disregard what I say in Red text in above post.
attachment.php

Dec

Thanks Dec - it makes so much more sense after you explain and illustrate with photos.

You are an asset to this forum - the depth in your descriptions makes it hard not to fix the issue. I thank you for this.

I will fix the retaining spring as shown, and report back.

Finally - could someone describe how the cover fits back in - I have tried it in many directions but have not been successful in fitting this.

All the Best,

adil

Hi Dec,

Looking at the mechanism, I can see a piece of plastic which mine doesn't have - mine looks a lot bigger...

A picture of me holding it to get an idea of how big it is:

IMG-20131005-01026.jpg

All the Best,

adil

Was it actually attached to the lock mechanism when you removed it from the door?

Dec

Going very slightly off topic here, there is an electrical plug with three wires in it that plugs into the door lock right where this plastic cover is, my question is;

Is there anything about those three wires and the plug that could cause my passenger's seatbelt extender to launch itself forward unannounced??

The wires in the lock would be for the vacuum pump for when you lock/unlock.

I would have thought the seat belt would be triggered by the opening and then shutting of the door rather than the door lock, perhaps there is a faulty door pin switch.

Dec

Hi Dec,

I do not recall (and regret not taking some snaps), but know I had to remove it to gain access to the lock - it was not attached to the lock itself.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Ive also tried to search for the part number stamped on the trim, but have found nothing.

Best,

adil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom