W124 Coupe rear sunblind won't retract?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derin100

Car
Mercedes and BMW
Along with a load of other stuff that doesn't work (!) on my newly acquired W124 300 CE the rear sunblind doesn't fully retract. It only goes down about 1/3rd of the way. You then push the button for it to go up and you hear the motor going for a bit first and then it seems to 'engage' and go up again fine.

I've done a bit of searching (including reading Billy's excellent install write up) but I'm none the wiser as to why mine is behaving like this? Any suggestions for fixes gratefully received. TIA.

Ok. Just spent all day taking the blind out. The worst part was that I had great difficulty getting the driver's side rear headrest out! Has a different (all metal) system of holding them in than the plastic set-up described by Billy in his write-up. Although a simpler method of unclipping them I discovered that because this headrest won't lock in the 'up' position (yet another thing I've found that's not woking on the car! :mad:) it was there extremely difficult to get it out.

Anyway, eventually got the rear shelf out and took the blind out and figured out how to take it all apart.

Now, the motor seems fine i.e the toothed plastic belt goes back and forth fine with. However, what I can't figure out is how the blind is supposed to retract? I can see how the toothed plastic belt would push it out but not how the thing is supposed to roll-up again?

I've even taken the roller out. Is this supposed to be spring loaded in some way (a bit like a household roller blind?) because mine doesn't seem to be?

Thanks.

Do you have pics of the blind itself, it will help with trying to diagnose the problem.

your blind i believe would be the type with the guide rail yes?

im assuming that the blind for this version would be completey different in terms of mechanical functioning compared to the 'scissor' type one for later models.

Have you tried connecting the blind up when its completely out? That way you can see how its functioning and what might be stopping it..

Last edited:
Do you have pics of the blind itself, it will help with trying to diagnose the problem.

your blind i believe would be the type with the guide rail yes?

im assuming that the blind for this version would be completey different in terms of mechanical functioning compared to the 'scissor' type one for later models.

Have you tried connecting the blind up when its completely out? That way you can see how its functioning and what might be stopping it..

Hi Billy

Yep it's the type with the guide rail up the middle. I think I've fixed it!

In answer to my own question: Yes, the roller itself needs to bring spring loaded. The spring itself is inside the aluminium tube of the roller. Essentially, the end with the flatted end needs released from its mounting, wound up ANTICLOCKWISE (!!!...took me hours to figure that out!) and held 'loaded' whilst it's inserted back into its mounting and then clicked/twisted back into position. There may be a simple way of doing it but I found it a real fiddle as obviously all the time you're trying to wind-up the tension the spring is working against you trying to un-wind!

Anyway, it seems to be working now when connected up. Hopefully I just have to re-install it in the back of the car now. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Then I'll have to figure out why the catch to lock the driver's side rear headrest isn't catching......so it seems to be going on and on !!! :dk:

Anyway, one good thing....with the rear shelf out I could see and access the bottom end of the rear-screen surround and thankfully there's now rust there! I was worried because there are a couple of tiny rust spots on the outside and I feared this was just a sign of something more serious coming through. However, I'm ow reassured and think these are just from where the bottom screen surround strip has dropped slightly and rubbed in a couple of places on the paint. I can fix that pretty easily myself as it's a non-metallic colour.

Thanks again.

nice 1 derin, you may as well sort the rest of the car out! you have come far!

about the catch have a look at the mech by taking that side out.
Its held in by two screws if i remember correctly. These are located from the top side of the now bare metal shelf. Unplug the vacumn line that goes into the headrest mech. Should be a round looking object.

I tried to wind one of those blinds back up a while back and the whole spring mechanism exploded in my face...

Luckily I managed to source a replacement from NeilRR... they can be difficult to find still working.

I tried to wind one of those blinds back up a while back and the whole spring mechanism exploded in my face...

Luckily I managed to source a replacement from NeilRR... they can be difficult to find still working.

Thanks....I've actually managed to get it all working perfectly again and re-installed.

Cheers Billy! LOL!

I've now just spent the last 4 days working on the car. The last two machine polishing...still have the roof to go tomorrow morning. It's not looking too bad at all now...looks and smells clean inside too now!

But now I'll have to start addressing all the mechanical 'issues'....

At the moment I'm still 'fact finding' and mentally listing them....and there are plenty.

Added to the list yesterday is the most monumental exhaust blow you've ever heard. It gets less once warmed up which is why I probably didn't notice when I bought the car because it had been driven to collect me from the train station...and thereafter my attention was focused on getting home in one piece due to the brake issue! Either that or the bit of exhaust paste that was silencing has given way!? I need to get under it and see where it's coming from.

I have a week's leave off from work now so I'll soldier on and see what I can do.

Wait a minute. You went to collect it & still bought it with all the faults?

I thought you'd bought it, had it transported to you & it it was already a done deal by the time you clapped eyes on.

Why didn't you just leave it?

I would suspect you may have split manifold bolts in regards to the blowing?

have you checked the bolts on the exit manifold? These tend to snap and given the year of the car im assuming they are or maybe on the way out.

worth a check.

Wait a minute. You went to collect it & still bought it with all the faults?

I thought you'd bought it, had it transported to you & it it was already a done deal by the time you clapped eyes on.

Why didn't you just leave it?

Yep Neil,

You're right...I should have just walked away. I've bought loads of cars in the past and should have known better. But when you've got up in the freezing cold (and snow that day),way before dawn, spent over 6 hours getting there by car and train etc...???

You're right...I should have just old him to "F'off and get real!". But I'm not like that. I stand by what I say even when others don't. I could could have 'Negative Feedback' ed him on Ebay...back I can't even be bothered to do that. It's not worth the hassle and not my way.

I'll sort the car out with a lot of time and expense, I think and it'll be a nice thing once done...but it's the last time I'm doing it!

To be honest, every Merc I've done with the exception of the AMG C55 Estate that I did has either only just about broken even or actually LOST me significant money not including all the work I've done myself.

I would suspect you may have split manifold bolts in regards to the blowing?

have you checked the bolts on the exit manifold? These tend to snap and given the year of the car im assuming they are or maybe on the way out.

worth a check.

No, Billy....you can actually SEE the exhaust gasses pouring out underneath the car at start up!

It's somewhere around the centre section.

Ok. Rear headrest issue fixed as well now.:)

I've also finished my three and a half day paintwork polishing marathon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom