W124 coupe seat belt problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My passenger seat butler stopped working, it turned out to be the seat belt latch which has a switch in it. It failed so the butler thought the seat belt was latched. Usually there is enough cable to disconnect under the seat and plug in to the drivers side to fault check. This is an easy check to do before you pull everything apart. I think you can jumper the pins on the connection if it wont reach the drivers side.

Hi Guys, Many thanks for your helpful replies.

Turns out it is possible to open the motor (Carefully). Two things found (i) both carbon brushes worn 90% and more significantly (ii) one of the springs which pushes the brushes against the rotor had come adrift and was chewed up to dust inside the motor.

It should be possible to find compatible brushes. Finding a compatible spring is a different ball game and I may end up making one. Will keep you posted on progress.

BillyW124 I've sent you a message via ebay.:D

Message received mate, emailed you back.

I can check the part numbers for you as requested, but they'll be defo the right ones for your coupe. i'll post up tonight.

Part no's:

1248600882 Right
1248600782 Left

Module on both sides: 1248200526

Many thanks BillyW124. We're good to go. See ebay message. J ;)

Thank you BillyW124,

Seat presenter arms arrived today and troublesome one replaced. Works perfectly! Many thanks for helping me preserve my nice coupe as Herr Benz had intended!

Thank you BillyW124,

Parcel arrived this morning and your seat belt presenter installed and working perfectly! Thank you for helping me preserve my nice coupe as Herr Benz had intended! :D

Apologies for repeated reply. I have tried to delete post #26 without success. Anyone know how to do this? :doh:

no problems mate, glad its sorted : )

Hi,

Would anybody have the rod that actually comes out of the trim and the triangle guide fits on to?

Kids somehow manage to snap mine right by the section where the triangle feeder goes onto - have not tried the duct tape route as it will always be on show when it extends so thinking instead replace the rod...

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have one that will probably fit. Please get in touch via PM to discuss.

My 89 300ce hasn't been on the road much recently, plus I'd charged the battery a few times over the last 6 months, last time I was in and out of car though the butler stopped in the "presenting" position, ie full way out but now fails to retract. Is there a reset procedure or work through a check list to see likely cause?

Thanks

P

Unless the cogs are jammed you should be able to push the butler back in manually. If you're lucky it's just overshot the position microswitch and it'll come back to life.
If not, they are primarily activated by one of the door switches. Easy enough to pop out and test with a meter or check for a faint audible click from the convenience relay (under the fuse box) or the convenience module (under the rear passenger seat) when you push the switch in.
Then there's the switch in the seatbelt buckle which tells the butler to retract. They have been known to stop working or the connector for them under your seat might have come adrift. Again, easy enough to test with a meter or bridge the contacts for test purposes.
After that, I'd be looking at the butler control units, one on each side. Unfortunately the side trims have to come off for access but once in there it'll be easy enough to swap the one from the working side to the duff one.
By the time you've done all that you should know a bit more. The motors rarely fail but that doesn't mean yours hasn't.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Unless the cogs are jammed you should be able to push the butler back in manually. If you're lucky it's just overshot the position microswitch and it'll come back to life.

I had that once and, yes, it did reset.

However, the second time it happened, it didn't. The solution was to remove the entire assembly and check the micro-switches. Each one was loose and mis-aligned. I re-aligned them parallel to the direction of travel and re-tightened. Since then, no problem.

Also, I had problems with door jamb switches. Thorough cleaning with electrical contact cleaner solved the problem. I also recall lubricating the switches with silicon lubricant to ensure smooth operation. Then the contact cleaner was liberally applied with the switch being 'worked' vigorously.

Hope that helps.

RayH

Thanks again roadhog and ray hennig, will get them checked over in the next few days/week and then let you know what the outcome was. Are motors easy come by, what should I pay?

P

Went for run in car yesterday, gently eased arm back into sleeve, worked perfectly on start up, MOTed today, result!

Thanks guys.

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom