W124 Coupe Seized sunroof

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by RogerAllanson, Jan 18, 2020.

1. RogerAllanson

RogerAllanson New Member

Car:
    MB 320 E class coupe 1994 (w124 diesel)
    Hello, does anyone have any suggestions for freeing a seized sunroof. I can hear the motor whirring but it ain't budging. As it holds water which it deposits in my lap as I set off I need access to the drainage channels to clean them out. Can anyone help? Regards Roger

2. Teego

Teego Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG
    Check your handbook. I think you should have a special key to open it manually.

3. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  4. OP
    OP
    RogerAllanson

RogerAllanson New Member

Car:
    Hello Teego,

Thanks for the response. Unhappily I did not get a manual with the car but I can't see a key hole either. Where should I be looking? Regards Roger

5. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Usually under a trim panel at the front of the roof.

6. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The place where you manually wind the sunroof is USUALLY in the boot behind some side trim but is really there in case of electric motor failure. It still relies on the drive cable working. The fact that the motor is running probably means the operating cable mechanism is broken or detached - this is potentially a much bigger problem to which there is no easy fix. I suggest you take a look at the links in the thread I posted. To assess your next move requires that you understand what you are dealing with before deciding what to do.
    77 Roofs
    specifically
    http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/77-140.pdf

merc85 likes this.
  7. simoncollinge1

simoncollinge1 New Member

Car:
    E320
    Hi is there a link to similar instructions for a 211 e320 sunroof 2004? Thanks

8. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Unfortunately no---here's how to open and close the roof manually.

9. simoncollinge1

Car:
    E320
    Thanks
    Was ok with using that spanner
    Main problem is although the motor works the roof opens with a grating noise and stops half way. Then closes ok so would suggest motor ok but problem with the “rails” ?

10. Teego

Teego Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG
    I had exactly this syndrome. Easy fix. You need to clean and lube the running gear. If you can get the roof open manually use a hoover, toothbrushes etc to remove major crud. Then use WD40 and lint-free cloth to deep(ish) clean. When dry apply a very small amount of light oil to the the runners. I used Scottoil chain lube which was hanging around. Now open and close the roof many time to spread the oil and check for any snaggy spots.
    Did mine 18 months ago and it's been perfect ever since.

11. OP
    OP
    RogerAllanson

RogerAllanson New Member

Car:
    Hello everyone, Thanks for the help. I have found the unwind point in the boot. I hope to have it sorted. Regards Roger

grober likes this.
  12. MrGreedy

MrGreedy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Insignia diesel :-( and w212 E350 CDI :-)
    I believe the electric sunroof should be an annual service item. Clean, and use MB 'special grease' :confused:

With my w203, I neglected it for 3 years, and stopped using it for another year or so because I was worried about it sticking open. It was getting slower and slower, and would often move a small amount and then stop. I didn't want to push it until the clicking started, which would indicate something breaking probably.

I then decided to sort it. Found an extract from a MB service manual online for the job. Used a very liberal spray application silicone lube in a can (a bit like WD40), which seemed to get it moving a bit. Kept spraying up and down the rails, cleaning and moving and exposing more and more. Cleaned everything I could get to, including popping up the service bits on the rails. Cleaned all existing grease off.
    Finally, having wiped it down mostly dry, I used a white silicone grease (available off the bay of dreams for about a fiver), which I read at the time was probably pretty close to the MB special grease.

Just wiped down the rails with a clean cloth and reapplied clean silicone grease every year until I sold it. Never had a problem after that and it work like new.

Good luck.

13. OP
    OP
    RogerAllanson

RogerAllanson New Member

Car:
    Thank you Mr Greedy, Roger

14. simoncollinge1

Car:
    E320
    Excellent, thanks. Was lazy (and wet) so asked my local garage (Kenrick Motors Llangollen) to do the job and all good.