W124 Coupe Seized sunroof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RogerAllanson

Car
MB 320 E class coupe 1994 (w124 diesel)
Hello, does anyone have any suggestions for freeing a seized sunroof. I can hear the motor whirring but it ain't budging. As it holds water which it deposits in my lap as I set off I need access to the drainage channels to clean them out. Can anyone help? Regards Roger

Check your handbook. I think you should have a special key to open it manually.

Check your handbook. I think you should have a special key to open it manually.
Hello Teego,

Thanks for the response. Unhappily I did not get a manual with the car but I can't see a key hole either. Where should I be looking? Regards Roger

Hello Teego,

Thanks for the response. Unhappily I did not get a manual with the car but I can't see a key hole either. Where should I be looking? Regards Roger
Usually under a trim panel at the front of the roof.

The place where you manually wind the sunroof is USUALLY in the boot behind some side trim but is really there in case of electric motor failure. It still relies on the drive cable working. The fact that the motor is running probably means the operating cable mechanism is broken or detached - this is potentially a much bigger problem to which there is no easy fix. I suggest you take a look at the links in the thread I posted. To assess your next move requires that you understand what you are dealing with before deciding what to do.
77 Roofs
specifically
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/77-140.pdf

The place where you manually wind the sunroof is USUALLY in the boot behind some side trim but is really there in case of electric motor failure. It still relies on the drive cable working. The fact that the motor is running probably means the operating cable mechanism is broken or detached - this is potentially a much bigger problem to which there is no easy fix. I suggest you take a look at the links in the thread I posted. To assess your next move requires that you understand what you are dealing with before deciding what to do.
77 Roofs
specifically
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/77-140.pdf
Hi is there a link to similar instructions for a 211 e320 sunroof 2004? Thanks

Unfortunately no---here's how to open and close the roof manually.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks
Was ok with using that spanner
Main problem is although the motor works the roof opens with a grating noise and stops half way. Then closes ok so would suggest motor ok but problem with the “rails” ?

Thanks
Was ok with using that spanner
Main problem is although the motor works the roof opens with a grating noise and stops half way. Then closes ok so would suggest motor ok but problem with the “rails” ?
I had exactly this syndrome. Easy fix. You need to clean and lube the running gear. If you can get the roof open manually use a hoover, toothbrushes etc to remove major crud. Then use WD40 and lint-free cloth to deep(ish) clean. When dry apply a very small amount of light oil to the the runners. I used Scottoil chain lube which was hanging around. Now open and close the roof many time to spread the oil and check for any snaggy spots.
Did mine 18 months ago and it's been perfect ever since.

I believe the electric sunroof should be an annual service item. Clean, and use MB 'special grease' :confused:

With my w203, I neglected it for 3 years, and stopped using it for another year or so because I was worried about it sticking open. It was getting slower and slower, and would often move a small amount and then stop. I didn't want to push it until the clicking started, which would indicate something breaking probably.

I then decided to sort it. Found an extract from a MB service manual online for the job. Used a very liberal spray application silicone lube in a can (a bit like WD40), which seemed to get it moving a bit. Kept spraying up and down the rails, cleaning and moving and exposing more and more. Cleaned everything I could get to, including popping up the service bits on the rails. Cleaned all existing grease off.
Finally, having wiped it down mostly dry, I used a white silicone grease (available off the bay of dreams for about a fiver), which I read at the time was probably pretty close to the MB special grease.

Just wiped down the rails with a clean cloth and reapplied clean silicone grease every year until I sold it. Never had a problem after that and it work like new.

Good luck.

I had exactly this syndrome. Easy fix. You need to clean and lube the running gear. If you can get the roof open manually use a hoover, toothbrushes etc to remove major crud. Then use WD40 and lint-free cloth to deep(ish) clean. When dry apply a very small amount of light oil to the the runners. I used Scottoil chain lube which was hanging around. Now open and close the roof many time to spread the oil and check for any snaggy spots.
Did mine 18 months ago and it's been perfect ever since.

Excellent, thanks. Was lazy (and wet) so asked my local garage (Kenrick Motors Llangollen) to do the job and all good.

Hi again
Sunroof works really smoothly now BUT a warning comes up when remove key saying sunroof still open (although it isn't)
Any ideas?

Hi
Recently had my sunroof serviced and works really smoothly now BUT when close and switch off ignition I get a “sunroof still open” warning although completely shut.. can you advise, please?

Hi
Recently had my sunroof serviced and works really smoothly now BUT when close and switch off ignition I get a “sunroof still open” warning although completely shut.. can you advise, please?
If its a W211 then the warning may be reset by pulling the correct fuse for a few minutes to power down the sunroof unit. Fuse 9 in the rear SAM in the example quoted but consult your cars fuse chart.
Panoramic Roof issue.

Hello, does anyone have any suggestions for freeing a seized sunroof. I can hear the motor whirring but it ain't budging. As it holds water which it deposits in my lap as I set off I need access to the drainage channels to clean them out. Can anyone help? Regards Roger
There is a clutch in the drive from the sunroof motor ( look into the boot - left side forward corner ) and you can engage/disengage by pushing in / pulling out the drive wheel , there should also be an adaptor which allows fitment of a socket onto the pulley to operate manually .

Sometimes there is wear in the cable .

Once you get the roof open , clean/lubricate all the runners .

Usually under a trim panel at the front of the roof.
The motor is in the boot .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom