w124 Coupe Setbelt Feeder Triangle install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
Hi Guy

My Feerder triangle (drivers side) has cracked on one of the corners and the setbelt will not feed correctly. I have the replacement part ready to go. My questions is, has anyone completed this swap out before? Are there any do's and don'ts to watch out for? At a glance it looks like I have to unbolt the anchor point by the drivers seat and slide the triangle up into position and the push it on to the feeder mechanism.

Any wisdom appreciated

thanks

Hi Paul, the presenter itself just slides on and off. The thing to be careful of is the spring mechanism in the anchor point, as the casing can easily come apart if you're not careful. I've been meaning to get in touch, so give me a shout if you need a supervisor, and the cabrio is off sorn!

Fiddly, but simple enough once you examine the mechanism. You will find a concentric spring which should be in tension when the belt and plastic sheath is upright (vertical). This allows the belt to fold back to the horizontal at floor level when released.

If you're careful, you should be able to undo the bolt and spring in one piece to release the belt so you can thread through the triangle. If the black plastic notched spring retaining disc comes apart, the spring will go b-o-i-n-g and you'll have to manipulate it back into place. I used a three inch length of coathanger wire bent to a U with sharpened ends to twist the spring back into tension.

It's not hard and is actually easier done than explained. Do it properly otherwise a seatbelt flopping about will drive you daft!

+1 for Del's post - i replaced mine on the CE and didn't realise there was a spring in there until it fell out! If you can, get a precision type flathead screwdriver to carefully prise open the plastic cover clips and it should stay in place and then you just thread the belt through.

While not disagreeing with the excellent advice above- the spring thingy is not essential to the correct use of the seat belt [ or MOT] So if you can't get it sorted just leave it for another day- but put the bolt back in obviously and note which way the cylindrical spacer goes!

Just a quick one in addition to the above comments...

It just so happens that the box spanner in the original MB toolkit fits the size of the hex head that needs tensioning. Tension it by half a turn (in the correct rotation) and hold it in pace with a couple of small nails through the pinholes whilst you reassemble.

I hammered a couple of penny nails through some thin plywood which worked perfectly as a jig for this task.

Last edited:
While not disagreeing with the excellent advice above- the spring thingy is not essential to the correct use of the seat belt [ or MOT] So if you can't get it sorted just leave it for another day- but put the bolt back in obviously and note which way the cylindrical spacer goes!

Agree with Grober. Spring isn't 100% essential, just means the belt doesn't lie flat when not clipped in.

I changed mine one week ago, very simple. As detailed by others simply unclip the protective cover around the belt at the floor, remove bolt gently (to keep spring secure), slide off off old triangle, slide on new one, push into extender arm, put floor bolt back in, snap cover back on and you're away.

Great thread! This is a job in my not so distant future!

+1 Very useful thread. Thanks to everyone.

As soon as I saw this thread I knew what I had to do. I promptly ordered my parts (three weeks ago) which proved timely as the belt made a very final slice through one of the corners of the presenter just last week.

1b31ba94.jpg

The parts people rang me today to say my bits had come in so I went and collected them.

After dinner tonight armed with just a torch for lighting I installed the presenter and was careful to make sure the spring was situated correctly.

It proved a simple enough job thanks to all the very helpful tips!

Tomorrow's jobs are pollen filter and hazard light switch replacements. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom