W124 cupholder idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sp!ke's link is the best for me. It would be for Liz in the passenger seat tho. I just dont get this constant need to have a brew or a drink whilst on the move and driving. Have a brew before you leave home. If you need a drink (hic) stop somewhere, quick slurp and away. Smokey will get you either on the move or stopped in traffic. I'm with GFP on this one, tho a "motormans friend" would be more appropriate for me, rather than a bog roll holder.

Im ordering 4 of these.. I asked him if he did any for my cars and this was his response.

This guy is into his cup holders!

Hi Jay:

I've had some use the versions that I have for the Porsche Boxster in various versions of the W124 E Class cars (93 500E, 93 400E, 94 E500 and some others) and they've seemed happy with it. The placement is a little more restricted than in some since the side of the trim at the tunnel starts to angle up fairly sharply beyond a certain point and it will depend on the positioning of your seat. Assuming that you can place the holder at a point where the height from the floor to the lower edge of the trim where it would slip under is no more than about 6" then it should be OK. Ideally, you want it tucked up as close as you can get it to the corner formed by the seat and the transmission tunnel. That puts it off to the side and under the highest bend of your leg when seated. As it's positioned more forward, then the angle of your leg will be lower and closer. Also, where space is restricted for whatever reason I've had a lot just put it on the passenger side in the same location and in most cars it's not a far reach for the driver.

I don’t think the same approach will work with the SL. In those that I’ve looked at the height at the side of the tunnel is too tall and there’s not enough of a side to the trim that sits over the tunnel to slip anything under.

I’m not sure about the W126 S Class. As general guidance, the lower body of the holder is about 5" tall so you'd need at least that much room for clearance below the lower edge of the trim piece that sits over the transmission tunnel for that lower section to fit. The arm that rises up is bent in an arc and the compression on the bend when slipped between the carpet and the trim piece is what holds it in place. You need enough of the arm to reach up to fit under the edge of the trim to hold it well (limited by the clearance under it). That means that the point at which it would slip under the trim (measured from the floor with mats in place to the lower edge of the trim) should be no more than about 6.5" from the floor for the E39 version. So overall you’d want no less than 5” and no more than about 6.5” at the side of the tunnel measured from the floor up to the edge of the trim where it slips under.

Also, there can't be too much of an angle to the side of the tunnel so that things will sit up straight. It doesn't need to be a perfect right angle, but 45 degrees isn't going to work very well. Also, the console will need to have sides that extend down over the sides of the tunnel versus sitting entirely on top since again, you’d need something to hold the arm when slipped up at the side of the tunnel. Last, in some cars manual seat adjustment handles or other things may be in the way, so you'd need to check that.

The dimensions of the body of the holder are the same for all, the only difference is in the length/height of the arm. If the distance from the floor to the lower edge of the trim panel is just barely 6" and you have limited height above that point (say 2” or so), then the version that I have for the Porsche would be better. If it’s up to about 6.5" with more height above that point (say 3” or so) then the BMW E39 probably would be better. In general, the E39 version will give you a little more hold and range for placement as long as you aren’t limited as far as clearance since it’s about 1” taller.

If you can check the measurements and requirements as above and let me know then I should be able to tell you which if any might be the best to try.

Shipping to the UK is fine. The cost would be $9 USD for one of the holders, $11 USD for two, or about $20 USD for four shipped via Air Mail with no tracking available. They estimate 4-7 days in-transit, but in practice I'd give it up to several weeks. Usually not that long but at times things move more slowly and/or may be held up in customs.

I don't have a good way on the site to vary the shipping cost for international packages. If you'd like I can send an electronic invoice via PayPal that will let you use a PayPal account or a local credit card.

Thanks, appreciate your interest. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Mike

hi Jay,

i never got round to ordering them. i'm still interested however and look forward to any extra info/pics you can provide once you have yours!!

my main concern that stopped me from ordering was the colour match and colour fading etc.

yep ive ordered 4 from him.. for my W123, 2x W126 and the W124 500E... The only issue I fore see is the 500E as the sides of the tunnel are very sloped..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom