W124 cuts off while driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuttonWillow

Car
BMW
Hi all,
I have a w124 E220 95 ,sometimes while driving the car cuts off and I barely go aside to let others pass,when I try to start again,it won't start,if I wait for a couple of minutes,it will start again.
this is not usual,but in suddens that I'm totaly losing confidence driving the car,while am on high ways or crossing junctions,I pray for God to pass without cut off.
I have changed the Fuel pump recently,I bought Bosch fuel pump,though it is not OEM.What could it be? I'm totaly frustrated and helpless,no good technician to help me here (am in Kuwait).
Thanks in advance
trying to be proud owner

Check all your earth connections [ needed to complete every electrical circuit in the car] battery earth connection/engine earth strap/alternator earth --- these are relatively simple cars compared with todays models and any competent garage/vehicle electrician should be able to help. OTHER POSSIBILITY is a faulty ignition switch or really anything that leads to car electrical failure---95 mercedes suffer from engine wiring loom failure [ brittle insulation]

Last edited:
95 mercedes suffer from engine wiring loom failure [ brittle insulation]
The engine wiring loom issue only applies to the 6 cylinder models I think. Welcome to the forum btw.

The engine wiring loom issue only applies to the 6 cylinder models I think. Welcome to the forum btw.
Nope all wiring looms of that era unfortunately [ wiring made by LUCAS--intended to be biodegradable in landfill but degraded sooner than intended!]---related to underbonnet heat meaning the bigger the engine the quicker the failure

What about the CPS (Crank position sensor)? I had similar experience in a previous (different) car and was CPS.

Does the fuel and oil gauge go off when it cuts out? Does the ABS light flicker or come on now and again? If it restarts after a while it's worth assuming something is breaking down with the heat and the most likely component is the cam sensor. Get a tin of freezer spray or compressed air and spray it when it happens next.

Nope all wiring looms of that era unfortunately [ wiring made by LUCAS--intended to be biodegradable in landfill but degraded sooner than intended!]---related to underbonnet heat meaning the bigger the engine the quicker the failure
I stand corrected! (Mine certainly started disintegrating shortly after I bought it - rebuilt the entire loom myself and am pleased to say it's still running well today!)

From the trade
All Euro based cars have crap harness in them.
In short, no matter what brand they develop high resistances and shorts over time .
The insistence on using twisted pairs is frowned upon by American and British traditional thinking. because screening is the preferred option.
Nevertheless this deteriorating situation represents great shop revenue earnings and on Sprinters we change out more 2002 to 2006 engine harnesses than we should.
With the chassis harness being about $5000 some tech is always in my shop stalls repairing a harness in some way other.
By comparison there are two basic manufacturers plus one UK brand that uses ISO standard wiring connectors etc.

The top of the pile is Toyota/Lexus with Sumitomo harnesses ,nothing comes close!
Right behind it comes Ford USA And by offshoot is Landrover nowadays .
When Ford had control of it, it shook that company by the neck !
All the funky wiring ideas from Solihull got tossed in trash once the AJ series Ford stuff got substituted and it became an Ford Explorer in UK Saville Row clothing .
The post MB platform have improved recently and I am just hoping that VW/Audi will continue with their crap wiring so that shop revenues will surpass 3 million dollars projection in 2021.
Oh I smell more green money with Mr Franklin's face on it . 👍
Tuercas Viejas

Hi all,
I have a w124 E220 95 ,sometimes while driving the car cuts off and I barely go aside to let others pass,when I try to start again,it won't start,if I wait for a couple of minutes,it will start again.
this is not usual,but in suddens that I'm totaly losing confidence driving the car,while am on high ways or crossing junctions,I pray for God to pass without cut off.essay writer
I have changed the Fuel pump recently,I bought Bosch fuel pump,though it is not OEM.What could it be? I'm totaly frustrated and helpless,no good technician to help me here (am in Kuwait).
Thanks in advance
trying to be proud owner
Thank you my issue has been solved

I read so much information from so many W124 owners having this problem over in USA with the harnesses ,, and yet myself i only know to a few problems regarding bad insulation on the wires over in the uk . Every problem that members ask on the USA forum on the W124 the answer is -- have you changed your bio degradable harness yet .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom