w124 cutting out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wdbmerc

Car
w124
I am having a problem with my 1992 W124 auto ---- when driving without warning there is a loss of power and the car will cut out even at speed--- car comes to a stop and starts perfectly -- will travel another half a mile or so then repeats--- When I started it the other day it was running rough and would not rev up?? Any suggestions please .....

The first things to check are either the FPR [fuel pump relay] or the OVP [ overvoltage protection relay] Best to post details of the exact age and engine of your car.

Thanks for reply -- I am not sure of the exact age of the car as it was a diplomats vehicle and not officially registered until 2004!!! The engine number starts with 104 ???

Probably means its an E280 or an E320 post 1993. There are lots of posts about sorting the FPR and OVP relays if you do a search on here. It could be lots of other things but those seem the most likely culprits.

we need to know whether it is the 104 engine with all electronic HFM engine
which is 3.2 litre. Both ignition and fuel controlled via the one computer.

Yours may be the earlier 3 litre 24 valve 104 engine with the older separate engine controls for fuel and ignition.

Post the full VIN from the windscreen and we'll let you know more.

Right your car was delivered 27/5/1993
Its a long wheelbase E280 RHD car with a 4 speed AUTO 722.433 gearbox
It was fitted with a pennant holder and roof display and extra indicators but otherwise pretty standard.

Last edited:
unusual vehicle you have there.

It is the later all electronic engine if 280 .

Possibly one of the three coils breaking down.

They are hidden under the top cover of the engine.

Where you located, as ideally you need an Indie with experience of the older Mercs.

They will check for fault codes and let you know the likely fault.

Let us know location as someone will know a tech. in your area

Wow that's impressive .... thank you always wanted to find out exactly when it was built....

Thanks I am in Birmingham not far from the NEC .....

Having read a number of threads .... is mine one of those with the dreaded wiring loom problem????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom