W124 door check straps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KevinF

Car
E saloon
Folks -

The search facility appears to be broken this morning so I am unable to mine the collective wisdom here to find an answer to my query.

I have an 1995 300 diesel estate and have been working my way through its little foibles over the past three years. With the brake flexibles replaced recently, I now want to turn my attention to the creaking door check straps.

Is anyone aware of a thread on here they could give me a link to, please?

Thank you.

info

Kevin i have just replaced my drivers side check strap.You could remove it,as lube is hard to get in the unit.I did try all ways to get it noise less on opening the door.Replacement is best. Remove the door card is a pain if its like my car. When you have it out put it in a tin of oil for a few hours. Mine had broken lugs that hold it in the door, they had come off,in doing so ellongated the fixing hole in the door face. Fixed with a washer over the hole.It is lack of lube and water.If you do go for a new one ,get the one with a cover on.And grease it well before fitting.

I bought new ones for my '91 W124 about two years ago. Not expensive, about £18 each from main dealer then. Stopped that grating noise. Worth doing. Hope these replies help.

Will

My thanks to the contributors to this thread. As with much in life, the encouragement is as valuable as the know-how.

...and, do I take it that if the plastic membrane between the door card and door inner skin is broken or missing, it's well worth fashioning and fixing a replacement out of builders' damp proof membrane (the sort that is laid on a floor before the concrete is poured).??

...and, do I take it that if the plastic membrane between the door card and door inner skin is broken or missing, it's well worth fashioning and fixing a replacement out of builders' damp proof membrane (the sort that is laid on a floor before the concrete is poured).??

yeah. screwfix sell rolls of green stuff quite cheap i think, but any plastic would do.

cover

Kevin dont put cards back without the membrain,if you cannot get one make one up. Dont leave any holes , or rain will find its way in your car

On the Vauxhall Omega I used to own... the concensus was that the plastic sheet inside the door card must be reinstated because the absence of the membrane can affect the performance of the side air bag crash sensor inside the door - something to do with pressure build-up.

Conclusion of the foregoing

Just to complete this thread for the sake of future visitors, I have now had all four check straps and door membranes replaced.

The work was done by Gordon at AutoMerc in Newbury - and a jolly fine effort is was too. He even sourced a spray can of Tourmaline Green and sprayed the new straps before fitting them.

The doors now shut again as they once did, and an added bonus: there is less road/wind noise too. Hard to credit that a 1200 gauge plastic sheet membrane would have such a noticeable effect, but there you go.

My thanks to all who showed interest in this saga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom