W124 door lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
Quick one for the W124 fans.

The drivers door lock on the car does'nt work, the wife has to unlock the car by using the boot or passenger door which is annoying her.

I dont want to buy a lock kit and change all the locks and ignition and I dont really want to change the faulty lock so it has two seperate keys so can I.....bit rough I know but can I swap the working passenger lock with the duff drivers one? Id say they were the same but I dont want to take off the door cards to find it wont fit :doh:

Cheers

Yes you can.

Prize out the small bung in the end of the door by the lock, and undo the allen headed grub screw behind it. Now put the key in the lock, and turn it while gently pulling on the key. The lock should pop out when it gets round to the right place.

Brilliant, so I don't even need to take the door card off and that's her christmas present sorted at the same time :thumb:

um ive just gone out to try this myself as this is a possable common problem however the barrels realy do not want to come out????? is there anything else that should be undone???

cheers chris

There is only the grub screw in the end of the door, the barrel will come out with the plastic end of the door handle. Try gently prying a flathead screwdriver between the handle and the lock as you turn the key.

The mrs loves you very much carat infact im alittle wurryed lol cheers for your help! i love this forum

cheers chris

Once you've taken the lock barrel out try flooding it with WD40, then brake cleaner, then WD40 again. You'll find all kinds of crud comes out

It may work again after that

Nick Froome

Last edited by a moderator:
I am soooooooooo happy!!!....

.....just did the driver <=> passenger-side barrel swap on wy C124 doors. After months of using the boot lock to unlock the car, I can now walk up to the driver's door again.

Easy even for a vaguely-competent tinkerer such as myself - this page may also be of use to anyone else perfoming the procedure.

Thanks very much to posters on this forum, it's a truly great resource

Chris
93 220CE, auto, red / black leather, 141k, Manchester

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom