W124 Door Mechanism Adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sorry Pete

Car
a most boring Honda
The drivers door on my 100k mile 300D needs more effort to close than the others, I take it this is due to wear. Is there a degree of adjustment available so I don't need to close it with such assertive action?

Lube the lock catch firstly then see if the lock meets the catch squarely and then adjust the catch to suit.

Wow, thanks to you both, see how it goes.

Undo the striker on the "B" pillar so it can just move, but still has friction. Get down to eye level with it and close the door very gently to see which way the striker moves- probably downwards slightly. tap the striker down just a little more and you will find that the door will close without the striker catching it and /or bouncing back to the second latch. Tighten striker and all done! Makes a huge difference to the "percieved quality" of the car and goes back to the bank vault feel of these cars! :D

Tiff, missed your post somehow...

Anyway, treated the old girl to a 2 1/2 hour wash and wax on Sunday (the Colinite 476s was still beading beautifully 6 months after application) , lubed the wiper mech, door latches, aerial, sunroof. Cleaned and used Autoglym bumper and rubber product on the black bits and door seals.

Anyway, lubing it did the trick. Now drivers door thunks shut like it should with a swing and not a slam. Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom