W124 Door Mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w124nut

Car
Mercedes W124 E320 cabriolet
The metal work surrounding the glass of my passenger door mirror is showing signs of corrosion;the metal is an alloy. The paintwork has lifted and in one place it has flaked off. The rest of the mirror unit is okay.

I would like to remove the corrosion, apply filler and repaint but am not sure which is the best method to choose. Do I try to do the job with the glass in situ or do I remove the casing and "do the job properly?"

I searched the forum and studied Haynes Manual but it is not clear of how I remove the mirror and dismantle it. Do I need to do all of this?

If anyone has done this exercise, could they please let me now how.

Remove the mirror from the car, strip the casing off, pop the mirror out then attack the frame with a wire bush & file getting all the corrosion off. Mask, primer, spray, refit

Removing the casing is left as an exercise for the reader

Nick Froome

Quite easy to do, best to remove the whole mirror,gently prise out the thin band then remove the main piece of the housing/ cover. The mirror part pops out. Mine just needed sanding then primed, finished with satin black. I found it easiest to pull back the rubber boot and mask this part.. Plastic fish slice was very handy for the dismantling process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom