w124 doors wont shut easily :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joloke

Car
89 Mercedes 230e
Hi Guys

I have a 1989 W124 230e saloon and I am having problems closing the doors easily :(

Give them a good hard slam from inside and they are fine likewise shut the doors from outside and swing them shut quickly with some momentum and they shut fine ;)

I used to have a 190d and you could gently shut the doors but on this on it kind of tries to bounce back off the striker :fail

They seem to catch the striker but its like they need to catch twice and do the first but not the second catch unless you slam them :wallbash:

Ive tried lubricating them but it makes no difference :(

Has anybody else had this issue and does anybody know of a solution :dk:

Thanks

Jodie :eek:

Jodie

Have you tried some silicone spray grease on the door rubbers? You need to get this into the channels and between the door frame and the rubber (if that makes sense) What you are aiming to do is allow the door rubber to move on the door frame as well as on the actual door. Get a can with a straw from Halfords. This allows you to get into the channels of the actual rubber.

You then need to get some pre-paint wipes to clean off any over spray from your paint. It's not harmful to paint but will attract dust etc, and may cause issues with any paint treatment you apply later.

I may be wrong here? I do not believe that there is any door adjustments on the 124?

Jodie

Have you tried some silicone spray grease on the door rubbers? You need to get this into the channels and between the door frame and the rubber (if that makes sense) What you are aiming to do is allow the door rubber to move on the door frame as well as on the actual door. Get a can with a straw from Halfords. This allows you to get into the channels of the actual rubber.

You then need to get some pre-paint wipes to clean off any over spray from your paint. It's not harmful to paint but will attract dust etc, and may cause issues with any paint treatment you apply later.

I may be wrong here? I do not believe that there is any door adjustments on the 124?

Thank You Bruce :thumb:

I will try it but have a feeling its more to do with the latches not latching?

Do you mean Lithium grease as I have some of that,if not ill seek out some silicone spray ;)

I will try anything and everything to hopefully come up with a solution.

Thank you for your time

Jodie :eek:

Jodie

Silicone Spray Grease is the best thing. You may get some adjustment out of your latches. They may just need a really good cleaning out with an air line and some WD40

Got the silicone spray and tried what you suggested but sadly it made no difference whatsoever :wallbash:

I am very grateful for any suggestions and willing to try anything out so anybody reading this I would be very grateful if you have any other ideas for a solution?

Jodie :)

When you close the doors slowly and engage the latch does the door lift a little and feel like it is dragging on the latch...?

Got the silicone spray and tried what you suggested but sadly it made no difference whatsoever :wallbash:

I am very grateful for any suggestions and willing to try anything out so anybody reading this I would be very grateful if you have any other ideas for a solution?

Jodie :)

When you close the doors slowly and engage the latch does the door lift a little and feel like it is dragging on the latch...?

Dont feel like I have to lift the doors but there are witness marks on the strikers where they have been hitting,don't remember seeing any on my old 190 that had perfectly closing doors :confused:

This stuff is great for anything like that. It a dry lubricant so no mess as well. I have adjustable seat belt mount and one of them have an annoying rattle. Gave it a quick spray with this and cured it

Dont feel like I have to lift the doors but there are witness marks on the strikers where they have been hitting,don't remember seeing any on my old 190 that had perfectly closing doors :confused:

OK. If the trailing edge of the door is too far in when it is closed in relation to the rest of the body work then do as Dec has posted, if it isn't the car may have had body repairs, the hinges may be stiff [but you'd be able to feel that or the rubber door perimeter seals may have come off their mounting positions. Check all the seals to make sure they are sitting in their holders correctly, I think the saloons are double sealed too....

There are times i have this. My rubbers are well looked afer .I use rubber treatment on them .But still have one, the passengers side door that likes to do this now and then .There is a spring on the lock, that can be replaced ,It could be weak .

Will try moving the striker guys just need to buy some Torx sockets ;)

I will keep you posted ;)

Yes knowing my luck i would end up with a rattle . If i pull the door just a little more it will shut.I dont have to slam it .These are bigish doors , so do take extra to close them .

There are times i have this. My rubbers are well looked afer .I use rubber treatment on them .But still have one, the passengers side door that likes to do this now and then .There is a spring on the lock, that can be replaced ,It could be weak .

Where is the spring you talk of? Just curious worth looking at everything I guess :thumb:

Not yet looked at moving the strikers probably do that next week :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom