W124 - drivers door closure issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vectrolosys

Car
91 300TE, 88 XJ40 3.6
Hello,

I am posting this with the hope it helps someone else solve the issue I had.

Symptoms

My new 300TE had a drivers door that would only shut with a reasonable slam, not the nice push my 200TE door would close with.

I also noted that the drivers side door car was not fitted properly and the handle/arm rest part was coming away.

Resolution

I removed the drivers door card, using some good size washers and short self tapping screws, I reattached the arm rest part, bringing flush with the door card. I applied some grease to the latch mechanise and used a small paint brush to apply grease to the mechanism under the water proofing layer, which I carefully peeled back.

I re-assembled the door, making sure that the card was latched in properly down the bottom, I tend to drop it into position, whilst lightly pushing it against the door.

Once this was all in, the door shut a lot easier. A few opens and closes, the door now shuts properly with a gentle push, rather than a not so gentle slam.

Hope this helps someone,

James

also ensuring that the top is securly clipped in (done with a good hammer of your fist on the top of the door card with the window opened).

To add, getting the door latch actuating arm, back onto the interior handle, can be easily acheived by getting the handle in place, and pulling the latching arm with a small, flat bladed screwdriver. It should slip in and lock down with a satisfying click :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom