W124 - Drivers Side Electric Window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vectrolosys

Car
91 300TE, 88 XJ40 3.6
Hello,

My W124 200TE had a rather annoying incident the other day, where the drivers side electric window stuck in the down position.

Anyway, after trawling through some old threads on here, I got the door card off and found that if I pull on the loom that goes to the motor slightly, the window works again. This says to me that there is a breakage, which, again looking at the old threads, is suprisingly common and expected :).

Anyway, how have other people repaired this?

Is the loom a spur off loom connected to a connector behind the drivers side A Pillar trim?

Is a complete loom available for here or is it just easier to repair?

Many thanks in advance,

James

Hi James
The fault could be in the motor, could I suggest that you disconnect the motor from the cars electric’s and try to run the motor directly from a 12v battery charger, put Positive + to one of the two terminals on the motor and the Negative - to the other terminal, swap the Positive and Negative charger leads around to get the motor to go in the other direction.

Do the test several times.
If the motor runs consistently every time you have done the test then I think that the loom or something else is at fault.
If the motor doesn’t run every time then I think the motor is at fault.

Wiggling on the connected connection plug can often get the motor moving because the brushes are being disturbed very slightly and this is what may have happened when you said…”found that if I pull on the loom that goes to the motor slightly, the window works again”

See also… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40796

Sorry, can’t help with the other questions.

Dec

Normally the wire breaks where it passes through the rubber boot into the door. You need to get to the wires both sides of the door opening and, one by one, cut the affected wires and use them to pull a new length of cable through. You can then rejoin the wires either side of the door opening

I recommend doing all the wires - if one has broken they will all be suspect. Use a decent ratcheting crimp tool and blue butt connectors to rejoin the wires

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hello,

Thanks all for the advice.

Today I found the problem. At the motor I found that someone had cut the insulation for the wiring at the connector, then taped over it. The result was some corroded wiring, which, I assume made contact successfully if pulled in a particular direction. I'll be cutting off, crimping and extending to fix, plus cleaning the connector up as the terminals look a bit grubby.

Behind the drivers side knee panel I did find two 20 amp fuses of the blade type wired in, these seemed to control both front windows. Are these normal?

Thanks,

James

I’m not familiar with your car but window fuses are usually located in an easily excisable fuse box together with other fuses, so unless the are housed in proper sockets and easy to get to, then it doesn’t sound normal to me. If you have a list, in your fuse box, of what fuses protect various circuits then that would tell you where the window fuses are supposed to be.

I drove my car for several days with the door card off, awaiting a replacement motor and was amazed at how wet the inside of the door components got in heavy rain, I suggest that you smear any repairs or connectors with a generous amount of grease to protect from water.

Dec

I have the normal engine bay fuse, but also found these two 20 amp blade fuses behind the knee panel, almost a secondary level of protection, I'll have to find another 124 to examine it :) or get hold of a proper wiring diagram.

Agree with the point on the door inners getting soaked.... a good waxoyling also does not go amiss.

Hello,

Apologies for bumping this to the first page. Out of pure curiosity, I found a site that gives me a complete build report for my car if I enter the VIN number.

I'm under the impression that electric front windows were an option and not standard from the factory.

This will explain the wiring I found. Looking at the wiring diagrams Dec kindly provided, my car seems to have a mix of aftermarket and original wiring.

VINWDB1240812F130052Model200TEChassis1240812F130052Engine102963 22 011804Transmission722400 02 833908Order0 9 537 70135Approx. year1989LightsBOSCHWiperBOSCHCab00556DealerGreat Britain (537) Interiorcloth blue (062) Paint147arctic white (T) (с 01.01.1985 по 31.12.1993)Options239Michelin tires for messrs. Hertz (с 01.12.1988)
260elimination of model designation on rear lid (с 01.05.1968)
341additional lamp (с 01.09.1982)
412electric sliding roof with tilting device (с 01.07.1983)
420automatic transmission, floor shift (с 01.01.1963)
467central locking system and instruments with english lettering (с 01.04.1970 по 31.10.1993)
524paintcoat preservation (с 01.01.1964)
541double roller blind used as luggage and passenger guard (с 01.01.1980)
570folding armrest front w202/210 stowage box front with armrest (с 01.04.1970)
front folding armrest w202 - housing at front with armrest
593heat-insulating glass, all-around, heated rear window pane (single-sheet safety glass), band filter
green heat-insulating glass all round, heated rear window, single pane safety glass - tinted strip (с 01.01.1972)
600headlamp wiper/washer (с 01.08.1971)
613lamp unit, asymmetrical, l.h. traffic (с 01.02.1963)
722baggage rack, integrated (с 01.07.1981)
724cargo anchorage (с 01.04.1979)

Annoyingly, the stowage box seems to be long gone....

Last edited:
Surprised to see a Mercedes coming without electric windows, at least in the front, obviously fitted by a previous owner, at least it saved you the trouble of fitting.
Which site did you use for that info?

Dec

Surprised to see a Mercedes coming without electric windows, at least in the front, obviously fitted by a previous owner, at least it saved you the trouble of fitting.
Which site did you use for that info?

Dec

The was a white, 200TE with LPG conversion on ebay recently, this was very poverty spec, no electric windows, sunroof, anything. It did have Mercedes 8 hole alloys though, not certain if they were standard though. Had the manual transmission too.

There's also another useful one with blown up component drawings, which looks pretty good.

That’s the one, I was wondering if you were aware of it as its very useful

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom