W124 E/CE experiences...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zendium

Hi there everyone

Just wanted to share some info with other members...

1992 W124 230CE, covered 125K miles in great condition, still smooth and solid. However recent problemos:

128K miles - Gearbox failure ["band" inside gearbox snapped!!] now fixed 1100 notes later [gulp]
132K miles - Head gasket gone, still at the garage awaiting final damage

How has everyone else done with similar car of this age?

Any idea of what other things to check/watch for and change next to keep her smooth?

Also, does anyone know what the original list price was for this kinda benzo? This would be a real help.

All input most welcome!

My 1993 16-valve 200TE automatic has done 150,000 miles. I bought it at 130,000 mls 16 months ago with a very full service history, which revealed a top-end overhaul at 110,000 mls (skimmed head, new ex.manifold, new timing chain etc). This is the only major work done. Gearbox is behaving fine. It's on it's third cat, the last two being pattern ones, which don't seem to last long, and make the exhaust sound rather nasty. A few ball-joints here and there, track rod ends etc. Anti-rollbar bushes seem to last 70,000 miles. I need to replace front and rear prop couplings soon, as these are showing signs of wear. Exhaust is on the way out (only the second system in nearly 12 years) and I'll replace it with stainless as I intend to keep the car forever (!). Electric windows seem to fail every 50,000 mls or so. I'm expecting to replace more suspension bushes in the near future. So far I have found this car cheaper to run than my previous Honda 2.2l Aerodeck, particularly regarding parts prices (the Honda was US-built, and had some different parts to the Japanese-built saloon). I had always wanted a 124 since they first appeared, and so far I'm delighted with it.
The original price of my car was £25,000, (cloth interior, no extras) so your CE must have been about £32,000 depending on spec.

Hi Dave

Man, you know your cars... I dont really know even the half of it. Nice to hear about your experiences & thanks for the service run-down. Was the top-end overhaul expensive? Great to hear that your W124 is running well. Thanks for the reply!

W124 E280 1995 with 131000 on the clock. Had for about 14 months now, bought with 113k under it's belt.
Only real major expense has been a new cat recently, I was advised to go with genuine Merc part as pattern ones were iffy. So I saved up. :eek:

Has proved really reliable which is what I expected, I think it would do another 130k without major probs. Other than normal servicing I have had consumable bits replaced -

Brake disks and pads front and rear
Idler bushes
Steering Damper
Gold Post Oil seal
Diff oil seals
Ball joints etc...

One more thing comes to mind, the drivers side elctric window mechanism gave up the ghost.

It's all expected stuff for a 10 year old car, if I had a 10 year old Mondeo it would be on the way to the scrapyard. W124's are built like tanks.

The best bit though is how it makes you feel when driving it, like this... :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :D

Hey Sportyreptile

Thanks for the post. My disks and pads were also worn out [flashing light on dashboard] so had them changed... relieved of £330 but what price for safety I guess. Driver and passenger side windows getting lazy - will oiling help [and where?!]

Too true about the "Regal" driving feel and tank like build. My humble 230... engine has to work hard to move so much steel, but returns a healthy 25-30 mpg on average [when not at the garage ;)]

My first experience with a +100K miles car... any servicing watch points?

Cheers

230TE, 1989 with 225k on the clock. We've had it a couple of years now and apart from routine maintainance (including rear suspension accumulators) and servicing has been easily affordable and makes for one of the cheapest cars to run that I've ever owned.

Where on earth did you get your brakes done Zendium?

Disks are about £40 a pair for the front vented ones and £30 a pair for the solids at the rear pads cost about £40 a set and they take the average DIY mechanic about 30 minutes to change on each wheel. Add in a £10 brake fluid change and you will see the benefit of learning to do your own mechanical repairs on jobs like this :)

Agreed though, great cars

Andy

Hi

I have a 1995 E220 SE with 162k miles. I have had it for 8 years.

The only things that have needed to be fixed are the drivers window, worn shockers and now - as I am about to sell it - a wiper motor!

Asides from that, it has been an excellent car. There is a little bit of rust coming thorugh on it though.

Saying that, compared to 124s I have had in the past - an 87 and 89 230Es, it doesn't seem quite as solid. Have any of you guys noticed this?

1991 230 CE w124 141000 miles

Had it just over a year now, just had new rear discs, new brake shoes and pads , two new handbrake cables various linkages that i broke while trying to fit some other wheels :eek: and an MOT (literally today, just picked it up £308 lighter :( )

Had the suspension raised slightly when i got it as it was sitting too low and stopping me getting 4 people in the car thanks to the previous owner slamming it to the max ......

Few bushes here and there, new downpipe and centre section not too long ago.

Passengers electric window is a bit 'clunky' the rest are fine

Strange creak from passengers seat while driving, making me crazy , so stuffed a folded up envelope between the transmission tunnel and the seatbelt clip and it has stopped now ! ;) must sort this properly soon

As others have said, w124's are almost indestructable, look after it and it will look after you.

H

zendium said:
Was the top-end overhaul expensive?

According to the bill, it was about £1100 at the Cardiff main dealer. :eek:
Quite honestly, I think my local "Minty and Gary" garage could happily handle a job like that, especially on a four-cylinder.

Hi,
I have a '93 W124 E320CE Sportline - 138K on the clock.
Interesting to read your comments - I can relate to a few of them!!!

Howard - there is a "creak" coming from my passanger side too - not the seat though, it seems to be the electric window mechanism!! it goes when the window is open but annoys the hell out of me when it is up!!!

I need to oil/service all 4 of the electric windows as they make a lot of noise when going up and down - does anybody know if this is tricky?

I have also noticed that when cruising at 70 - 80mph there is a "rumbling" noise that makes the steering wheel judder and makes driving at 90mph+ uncomfortable (obviously on a track day!! not on the road (cough)).

I have checked all the tyres (Dunlops - newish) and inflated to correct pressure and it hasn't changed. I can't help wondering if the spoiler on the boot is casuing this as it doesn't half "wobble" at high speeds. But then again so do plane wings - it's part of the design. Any ideas?

One final problem, especially in the wet, is that the back end gets very excitable when putting the power down when going around corners....and I can assure you that I am being gentle with the accelerator- there seems to be some slack on the acc. pedal or a delay in the gear box. Any body got a similar experience or advice?

My 1991 w124CE is now upto 146k. I bought it with 108 on the clock and the only major work it has had is the head gasket @130k. I had a top end overhaul done at the time so there wasnt much change from 1k.

The car is still on original 1991 shocks, exhaust, CAT, disks, drums etc. Thanks to a very sedate first owner.

Shocks do need doing soon however as the rears have started seeping a little. Only current problem is a sticky fr passenger window which I am almost sure is due a new motor (£90) :( . Woth taking the door panel off and checking the window guides are adjusted/fittedcorrectly and greased up nicely if their noisy mind. (just dont take the rivetts out that holds the mechanism in place....)

'Car' mag for June 1992 quotes £28520 for 230CE.
I had an '89 300CE-24 from Feb 97 - Oct 01. The speedo head had already been replaced at 53k and I had the CHG replaced under warranty. The only expense to me was a broken front spring, but when I traded it in, I knew the engine mountings were shot. It went with the original exhaust at 12 years old and 100k!
My present E320 coupe also had the CHG done under Signature Warrranty and the steering damper was replaced at 80k. The only disaster I've had was the immobiliser (in France) requiring a journey on a flatbed - but I'll save that story for another day! Suffice to say, I think MB 24hr assistance is wonderful!!!

My 260E has 218k on the clock, Cyl head never been off, Still rockets along. Timing chain has been done though as has the water pump (what is it with me about locks and water pumps?). I will require two new front wings later this year.

E220, 100k on the clock...................thats it :D

Now ask me if I want a new Merc, answer unprintable, prefer the bullet proof brand :D :bannana: :bannana:

I've posted this before but it's good so here it is again W124 parts wear out
You don't often find unhappy W124 owners.
Not sure what I'll do when I change mine next...R129 maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom