W124 - E200 1995 - End of the LIne?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why is it not viable?

If it is in otherwise excellent condition and you clearly like the car then £1500 is not a lot amortised over 26 years.

How much will it cost to replace the car with something you like?

Hi everyone. My beloved 1995 Midnight Blue E200 which I have had from new has failed it’s MOT. Corrosion
I think if you've looked after the car well all these years it would be such a shame to let it fall at the last hurdle. If you went to look at the car as a new buyer would you pay £1500 for it with a new mot?

A major consideration in my mind would be whoever is going to weld the inner wing would also have to ensure the steering box mountings points were exactly to factory spec. Failure to do this may cause all sorts of premature wear on the steering box and linked components. Also as @grober pointed out it is highly unlikely that will be the only area of structural rot on the car.

Another consideration is a 1995, Indian built?, e200 saloon is right at the bottom of the desirability stakes for w124's if the point of restoration is to retail the car as a modern classic.

Last edited:
img_20210607_121027-jpg.2695736

IF your engine compartment looks like this its PMS- Tell tale is the lack of a MAFF [ just a blank pipe] after the rectangular air box on the picture left

Why is it not viable?

If it is in otherwise excellent condition and you clearly like the car then £1500 is not a lot amortised over 26 years.

How much will it cost to replace the car with something you like?
Wise thoughts. I really do hope I can get it sorted. Thanks.

img_20210607_121027-jpg.2695736

IF your engine compartment looks like this its PMS- Tell tale is the lack of a MAFF [ just a blank pipe] after the rectangular air box on the picture left
Hi again. Thanks very much for your interest. Yes that looks quite mine, but certain things seem to have done a 180? E.g. My battery is on the left side and fuses, brake servo etc on the right? Although the screen wash reservoir and ABS unit seem to be the same as mine. So this configuration isn’t quite right. What does PMS mean please?

A major consideration in my mind would be whoever is going to weld the inner wing would also have to ensure the steering box mountings points were exactly to factory spec. Failure to do this may cause all sorts of premature wear on the steering box and linked components. Also as @grober pointed out it is highly unlikely that will be the only area of structural rot on the car.

Another consideration is a 1995, Indian built?, e200 saloon is right at the bottom of the desirability stakes for w124's if the point of restoration is to retail the car as a modern classic.
Thanks. Good points. Plan is not to retail it as a modern classic. I agree this model would struggle to fit that criterion. I just want to carry on using what has been a loyal companion for over 25 years - been through a lot together and it has never let me down. I did not know that they were built in India. if inferior steel was used, that might explain the extent to which this one has corroded. you certainly notice more survivors from 1990 to 1993 than the later ones. Mine was towards the end of the production run offered in the UK before being superseded by the new model in 1996. Thanks for your interest.

The picture is for a LHD car but engine inlet layout is same for both RHD and LHD
PMS works on manifold pressure sensing rather than HFM which works on sensing the cooling of a hot wire in a resistance circuit in the inlet airstream -- while HFM ECUs can be repaired PMS ECUs are sealed units and getting scarce now

The picture is for a LHD car but engine inlet layout is same for both RHD and LHD
PMS works on manifold pressure sensing rather than HFM which works on sensing the cooling of a hot wire in a resistance circuit in the inlet airstream -- while HFM ECUs can be repaired PMS ECUs are sealed units and getting scarce now
Thanks very much. understood. Worst come to the worst there will be one more serviceable PMS unit available!

Anything going on with this?

I guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom