W124 - E200 1995 - End of the LIne?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wideglides0

Car
1995 E200, 2006 S500, 2017 C43 AMG Cab.
Hi everyone. My beloved 1995 Midnight Blue E200 which I have had from new has failed it’s MOT. Corrosion around suspension and steering box. Repairs possible but uneconomic and am considering options. It has done 225k, but EVERYTHING work just as it should including aircon, cruise etc. Just had new battery and shock absorbers. Good tyres. This car has been a friend to me and I do not want to send it to a scrapyard. Are any mbclub members interested in it to either repair or use as parts? I am near Ipswich in Suffolk.

How much is the cost of repairs estimated at?

Nobody will be able to communicate with you directly as you don't have enough posts to automatically qualify for PMs (you need 30). Maybe put up an email address or ask the mods (contact us bottom left) for early PM privs.

MOT garage say £1500 to do welding. Not so much the welding as the labour to remove the bits to get at the locations, suspension and steering box.

MOT garage say £1500 to do welding. Not so much the welding as the labour to remove the bits to get at the locations, suspension and steering box.
Might be best to let the car go for parts by the sound of it. Either that or buy a MIG welder.

It can be of interest to some one that has their own welding gear ..That way it will cost less to repair it ,,may be nothing to repair it if other than, the man hours and welding gas and oxygen . Needs inspecting first to see if the car Wideg is parting with is worth the time, and money , you will be spending on it .

Got any pix of the rusty problem bits?
Not yet. I can get them. The MOT report came out yesterday and it’s still there while I wonder what to do. Does anyone have recommendations for anyone who would want it for spares please?

Thanks. A real pity. Runs beautifully. Seems such a waste.
The steering box mounts on to the inner wing so in theory should not be that difficult to repair. See from around 16 mins on the video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd be interested in a couple of parts. Post an email address or as phone # & I'll get in touch.

I'd be interested in a couple of parts. Post an email address or as phone # & I'll get in touch.
Thanks, Neil. [email protected].

haven’t decided what to do yet. The welder is having a paid for scope out to see to what extent it make sense to do the work, so won’t know for a few days yet. I do have serviceable spare complete wiper assembly, including motor and ABS server anyway if anyone interested.

brand new shock absorbers and battery as well as all the other components should it go that way

DOES IT HAVE THE PMS OR HFM ECU INJECTION SYSTEM?
Steering box inner wing mounting corrosion is an unusual W124 failure and may indicate further extensive body structural corrosion which may have body structural INTEGRITY implications in the event of a frontal collision for example- pictures would help as said above.

DOES IT HAVE THE PMS OR HFM ECU INJECTION SYSTEM?
Steering box inner wing mounting corrosion is an unusual W124 failure and may indicate further extensive body structural corrosion which may have body structural INTEGRITY implications in the event of a frontal collision for example- pictures would help as said above.
Thanks. Useful info. Will see on the exploration. Not sure which injection system. It is 1998cc Petrol engine in 1995 Uk spec E200 Auto if that helps?

Thanks. Useful info. Will see on the exploration. Not sure which injection system. It is 1998cc Petrol engine in 1995 Uk spec E200 Auto if that helps?
A picture of the engine compartment/ engine inlet system would help

Thanks Darrell. My heart agrees……
Nothing wrong with going with your heart.

I’m a big lover of classics and especially what we now call ‘moderns’. If every person in your position sold their cars off in bits and pieces because it wasn’t financially viable to rebuild them the world would be in a sorry state.

Check out the Festival of the unexceptional. These guys are the best.

IF its a PMS ECU I would remove it if welding is undertaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom