W124 E200 - are they underpowered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
I've recently bought an auto W124 E220 estate and it has plenty of power for my needs, however I'm now thinking of buying an auto E200 saloon to use for commuting to work - all city driving. Are they much different to the E220 regarding power? I have an 1984 190E 2l auto and its no ball of fire so I'm a little concerned that a bigger W124 is going to struggle a bit.

They are however VERY cheap :bannana:

The e200 has 136hp and the e220 has 150hp

Was there not a change of engine from 8v to 16v at one stage in the 4cyl W124 production run?

Seem to remember my old man buying a new one in '93 and it reportedly having a lot more go than the '90 model he had.

Was there not a change of engine from 8v to 16v at one stage in the 4cyl W124 production run?

Seem to remember my old man buying a new one in '93 and it reportedly having a lot more go than the '90 model he had.

Yes it was when the m111 engine come out in 93

I drove my then team head's 200TE new auto in 89. It was more sluggish than the 1.3 VW Golf I had at the time.

i have an E200 with the 111 engine, and it is great - plenty of go. and yes, the old 102 200 engine was a slug, but the 111 is miles better, go for it.

I drove a 95 w124 e200 estate in the same week as a w210 e300 Non turbo, both were as bad as each other speed wise. I suppose you would get there in the end, but when the end would be..... who knows.

The M102 , as fitted in the 190E and some W124 models has something like 124 bhp .

Indeed 'no ball of fire' but well made and reliable which will appeal more to some than speed .

I'm now thinking of buying an auto E200 saloon to use for commuting to work - all city driving.

If its all city driving it will be fine, just no lightning quick starts against "Bobs Loft Convertions" Transit.

Hi, my only mode of transport, for both business and private use, is a 1993 W124 300TD Auto Estate with nearly 200,000 miles on the clock. Its not quick away from the lights or a rally car around the roundabouts and Bob the Builder in his battered Transit will probably move quicker, the point is I don't care, the old girl gets me from A to B in comfort. I dont want a Mondeo or a Vectra and I wouldn't swap my 'almost a classic' Merc for any modern car.

I had a M111 E200 estate for 4 years, drove it all over Europe fully loaded. No, they're not underpowered. Same bhp as a multivalve diesel, which one ever says are underpowered. Not particularly fast, but who cares? They are very well built and reliable.

I drove a 95 w124 e200 estate in the same week as a w210 e300 Non turbo, both were as bad as each other speed wise. I suppose you would get there in the end, but when the end would be..... who knows.

How many cylinders is that X type,also is that volvo Turbo?If not bring it on,honest

Hi,
I have driven a manual G reg, and an auto L reg W124, I thought the auto was gutless TBH and found i had to drive it quite hard to keep up with the traffic on the motorway, the manual was loads better but like has been said no ball of fire, but i definetly see the attraction of the W124 lovely cars.

I had a '89 200E and it went round France fully loaded without any problems. I was quite happy with it until I found a 300E. This has done the same run round France a couple of times and coped a lot easier. I really love the 300E until I thought about an S500.

It is all relative. If you compare them to bigger, more powerful models then they will always come out second best. Judge it for what is and you will always find it is a Mercedes.

For general town and commuting work the 200 will do just fine. But don't take it down the drag strip.

Thanks guys, seems a newer E200 will do me just fine, now to find a decent one that hasn't been a taxi for the last 5 years.

I find my 200 (auto) is fine around town. It does sound a bit busy at motorway speeds though. Then again it was bought with the intention of being used locally (mostly by Her Indoors). If I'm going any distance and/or want to travel more quickly I have an alternative.

Continental drift will be quicker than a 200 ...

Don't think i'm really in a position to comment :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom