W124 e200 rhd overheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snarf

Car
E200
GoodDay all,
I was hoping someone can help me with an overheating problem when in traffic with my 1994 W124 E200. The car is only doing 57,000+km...(Yes it has hardly been driven from new)...so allll my problems are fom lack of use. MB recently replaced the entire a/c system at a funominal cost and since then when I am in traffic and the a/c on the temperature gauge climbs to almost the top and then goes back down when I start moving forward.
I have checked the clutch fan and that works...the electrcal fan work...however... I was told that this fan is a three(3) stage fan..meaning that depending on the situation it may run slow, medium or fast....I was told this by my MB dealer! (is this true?? or am i being BS again)
Also when I turn my engine off the resviour over spills alot and I always have to be refilling it...(don't know if this help)
Hope you all can help
Thanks
Jason

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum.Do you see where the water comes from?Only ask as it might be leaking from the water pump

Actually the water is coming from the resviour overflow line when i turn off the engine

If your fan clutch and fan are working as they should it could still be a number of things:

Deposits in the radiator system preventing coolant flow - when was the coolant last flushed? (Don't know if this would have been done when they did the aircon.)

Faulty stat - usually these cause your engine to run cool but I think it's possible for them to stick closed as well as open so this would prevent coolant flow also.

Could also be your water pump.

Blocked radiator, knackered water pump or blown CHG?

Nick Froome

Thanks all,, well the radiator was flushed back in August when they redid the A/c and I remembered they replaced the water pump about a year or so ago..as for the blown CHG...I highly doubt...engine is working like a dream.....
Also i meant to ask...do you all think that the engine is actually over heating?? Remember i am basising this because the temp gauge is going high up!!
but from my experience a hot or overheating engine will have a decrease in power...but i am not getting that....(but then again the e200 has not really really overheated "fully" as yet)!!

Is there away to actually test the temp without using the dash guage? If it is actually over heating I am leaning towards deposits in the rad.

but I am open to more suggestions...

And thanks everyone...much appreciated

hi
my 300TD has aftermarket a/c but I believe the factory setup uses a 2 or 3 speed auxiliary fan, there are some with 2 aux fans as well I think.
This might help -1986 300e - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

If the gauge is going into the red - 120C+, then its overheating, if its just "almost the top"- then its only 'hot'. Check the fan sensor is ok first off

BTW -does your car have viscous or electric fan clutch?

cheers!

ps hows the weather?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom