W124 (E200) up for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
Just seen an ad for a w124(E200) french blue with 106K miles 1995 model.
Has new tyres, PAS airbags.

Owned by privately by an older guy than me who has had it 3 yrs and serviced it himself. Has no history..says he bought it off a Doc and has changed oild himself every 3000 miles.

He's moving to house and the car will not fit in garage and he already has bought a w123( 20yrs old) recently.

He bought it for £3500 3 yrs ago and is now wanting £1600 for it.

He is quite knowledgable about the car and says he used to make camshafts for Jag in 1943. Blimey he must be old.

Is the car worth the price. What do i need to look out for in the W124 and at 106K miles what major repairs will i need?

Seems like a geniune guy ..good old yorkshireman..

I think its worth it, its the facelifted model right ? , 106k is just nicely run in for a w124 ......should be good for double maybe triple this before any major mechanical work needs doing....

The no history bit is a bit worrying, but at the end of the day it is a 10 year old car, so its not that important, see if you can knock a couple of hundred off as its got none.

Look for rust on front wheelarches - all w124's are prone to this.

Check electric sunroof works - nightmare fix if it doesn't

Check all electric windows work, i don't know about the saloon but if the coupe ones fail it can be a nightmare sorting it ( ask Sp!ke :rolleyes: )

I'm sure others on here are far more knowledgeable about common w124 traits, but those are the ones i can think of now.

At the end of the day follow your gut instinct, if you have drive of it and you like it, then go for it ....

good luck, if you get it you won't regret it..... :D

If it is a 103 engine (straight 6, single cam) check for oil weeping by cyls 1 and 2. Check the inside the leading edges of the doors for rust. Chexk the gearbox, it should slide in and out of gear so easy. Check that the kickdown works properly. Has it got air con? if so make sure its working well. Check play in the steering, 25mm either way is aceptable. (new steering box = £250 ish) Make sure that all the keys work. Check the electric mirrors especially the left hand side as the holding pins for the mirror are prone to poping out. Check the wiper motor and arm, make sure it doesnt hesitate. If I think of anything else I will add to the list. True what Howard says, just about run it. :D

I was advised to open the plastic covers over the jacking points to check them for rust. As for the wheel arches, there are all sorts of nooks and crannies down there where mud and leaves just seem to collect. If there's lots of encrusted mud there, it'd need to be cleaned off and dried before inspecting properly. Also much easier to put car on a ramp and inspect from underneath. If really paranoid, you could also have the front plastic wheel arch liners removed for a closer look.

Rgds

Les

Thanks for all your advice,

Just saw the car and inspected the car as advised.
Firstly the car was a lighter blue...not my favourite..
The was rust near both front wheelarches. The rear window didn't work and the sunroof got stuck on testing...but did close eventually.

Not impressed with the car at all....to be honest if i was selling a car i would try to clean it even a little bit....this guy wasn't a good salesman.

Without history it did look kinda tired..maybe more than 106K.

Still on the hunt will report any findings......

I am selling my 1995 N E220 SE in Brillant Silver with black interior, auto, air con, 4 x elec windows, leather wheel and gear knob, 8 hole alloys, rhr, OTG and 2 air bags.

Great condition, 163k miles with FSH. 2 owners and I have owned it for 8 years.

Only selling it as forced to buy a more modern Mercedes (W203) by wife.

£2250 ono. Please call 07989 515 666 if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom