W124 E200 with no ignition on cylinders 1 and 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See post 33 or 46 on this thread[topic] There are 7 trimming resistor values which determine the ignition advance. They will vary according to engine compression/ fuel octane rating and whether the car has manual or automatic transmission. If you have lost the trimming plug for your unit best plan would be to find a similar car to yours in your country and check the trimming plug number. Could be the values talked about in post 33/ 46 but might be other?? Normally these trim resistors are connected between the ignition unit and earth so there are probably 2 connections on the plug. If you think you have the correct replacement you could then use a timing light on the front pulley/timing mark to see if you have the correct ignition timing

ps if you can find an example on another car you could remove it temporarily and measure the resistance with an electrical resistance meter [ DVM] It would then be simple to manufacture one from component resistors from an electrical repair shop- make them high wattage type

Last edited:
there appear to be only 2?? You can buy them at your local MB agent ---should not be expensive.

A0245450628 11O ohm

AO155457028 4750 ohm

Thank you all for your answers! Can you show me how to replace or website where I can find installation instructions? Anything I can help is welcome. Thank you all again!

It is the first time I face the mercedes ecu if you know better, or if you've never faced so please help me .... what exactly should be put there, and what values. Thank you again!

The picture you posted with the arrow> points to the ignition output transistors I think-- regrets- they are not repairable.
general opinion is the internal ELECTRONIC components cannot be replaced on these PMS units.

Ok. Are the principle that there can not ... same components are found in VP44 injection pumps that can be repaired, I am interested in a scheme ECU will definitely succeed, then I will post here solve, or at least the value and type transistor. Any idea where to find a schematic for this type of ECU? (thanks again!)

Ignore my post #108 which refers to someone else's question.:eek:
I don't think any schematic of the ECU circuitry exists in the public domain.:confused::confused: Bosch and Siemens would obviously have the details but since the units are sealed for life there would be no reason to release them.:doh: Even the official MB workshop information system [WIS] circuit diagrams depict these units as "black boxes" . Their pinouts are detailed but no internal circuitry- sorry. If you find any circuit diagrams please let us know.

here's a link to the external wiring to the PMS http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/1zx02-wiring-diagram-mercedes-cylinder-pms-unit-c180-1995.html

Last edited:
Hi All;
Since most of you guys are pointing to a bust ECU; i have a query;

In case of a busted ignition coil,the OVP relay supposed to protect the ECU from any short circuits and voltage surge,isn't it?

Hi All;
Since most of you guys are pointing to a bust ECU; i have a query;

In case of a busted ignition coil,the OVP relay supposed to protect the ECU from any short circuits and voltage surge,isn't it?

Only on the 12 VOLT supply side I think ? Anything such as an HT ignition short which leads to excessive current draw will cause the ECU switching transistors to overheat.

Hi neilrr,
My '93 W124 220E has been garaged since Jan 22, 2015. Had the unit for 10 yrs and it was running perfectly until the said date. Just a short history of repairs done - It all started with rough idling, no fire on cylinder 1 and 4. Star diagnostic pointed to a low signal to coil bank 1. Replaced the two coils with brand new Bocsh and all the HT wires with Beru. Still the same fault. Check for continuity and wirings are all good as it seems to be replaced by the previous owner. Swapped the new coils between bank 1 and 2, still the same. Open the ECU and found an open/cut lead from a spider like transistor to the board same as in the previous image. Yes, it is impossible to repair it as it needs laser guided precision to solder the leads back. Found an old ECU unit with the same exact match in Abu Dhabi but when I installed it the engine just turns but won't start. I did reinstalled my old ECU and it did start with the same rough idle. BTW, injectors are squirting gas as it should plus a smell of gas everytime it idles due to unburned fuel. I've called an MB tech to have it diagnosed later this afternoon, it's just 9 am here in Manila, Philippines. My friend who bought it from Abu Dhabi can return it and get another unit from his supplier though. I would like to know if you still have a known good unit for this ECU. I'm really getting frustrated as this is the hardest trouble that I have encounter with this car.

VIN WDB1240221B885162
Bosch 0 261 200 406
MB 013 545 07 32 [00]

Email: [email protected]

How do you know if PMS-unit is broken? Does it always give codes? One coil broke and i replaced it but now car backfires constantly when revving(but all cylinders have ignition)

How do you know if PMS-unit is broken? Does it always give codes? One coil broke and i replaced it but now car backfires constantly when revving(but all cylinders have ignition)
I suggest you might have the ignition leads mixed up. One coil fires 1+4 the other 2+3 If not then its probably an "output stage" of the ECU. Check you are getting a full 12v supply to the coils.

Hi neilrr,
I've read the entire thread. I have the same problem: my 1032 ECU is burned. Could you send me how much would they cost one or another 1132 or 7032, including shipping to Madrid, Spain (ZIP: 28028). Could you also tell me the reference (and the price in case you have them in stock) of the coils I would need to change? My MB is a W124 E200 Sedan 5 manual speed. Thank you very much in advance.
[email protected]

Don't want to mix it up, but just a little () question: Before I got this ECU problem, I occasionally had a problem with the starting: starter motor did'nt worked. After trying to turn the car on a few (sometimes many) times it used to work. I changed the starter for a new one, but the problem was still there. As I've read it's hardly related with the ECU (the problem was the electric motor not working, and if I've understood well there is no output connection to this from ECU) but, just in case, I'd like to ask all of you if it could be because of the ECU. Otherwise if anyone could help me with an idea or a link would be grate! Thanks all of you, especially joe prosser for his work. Sorry for my spelling and my bad synthesis capability

Hi neilrr,
I've read the entire thread. I have the same problem: my 1032 ECU is burned. Could you send me how much would they cost one or another 1132 or 7032, including shipping to Madrid, Spain (ZIP: 28028). Could you also tell me the reference (and the price in case you have them in stock) of the coils I would need to change? My MB is a W124 E200 Sedan 5 manual speed. Thank you very much in advance.
[email protected]

Don't want to mix it up, but just a little () question: Before I got this ECU problem, I occasionally had a problem with the starting: starter motor did'nt worked. After trying to turn the car on a few (sometimes many) times it used to work. I changed the starter for a new one, but the problem was still there. As I've read it's hardly related with the ECU (the problem was the electric motor not working, and if I've understood well there is no output connection to this from ECU) but, just in case, I'd like to ask all of you if it could be because of the ECU. Otherwise if anyone could help me with an idea or a link would be grate! Thanks all of you, especially joe prosser for his work. Sorry for my spelling and my bad synthesis capability

Your starting problem could be coming from a faulty ignition switch. Other possibility is if you have a faulty after market alarm system.

Thank you grober. I'll check the ignition circuit. Any help (diagram or simple desciption) is appreciated XD.

Finally I changed the ECU for a 018 545 10 32 and also replase the wiring and one of the coils. Now the problem is solved! Thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom