W124 E220 Coupe Clonking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris clk320

Car
CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
Hi there I have as above E220 I have just had it jacked up to clean our rear wheel arches to inspect and give a bit of waxoyl for the winter. Now I have an annoying clonking from what sounds like the nearside rear wheel.

Only when I go over large bumps or when I have a full car ie the missus and 2 small kids.

I have checked exhuast and had a look underneath and nothing is jumping out at me.

Any thoughts, sorry its vague just want to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

Chris

Sounds like a rear susension bush to me. Could possibly be the spring hasnt reseated itself properly.

Hi Chris,

Is this clonking sound comming from the rear?

does it only happen on occasions and over a certain type of dip/bumps in the road?

Check all links and their bushes at the rear, it comprises of a bottom control arm, and 3 other links.

If everything is all good under there, next step is to check your subframe mounts. these might be shot! if these are gone it will give you a clonking sound as if there is somthing loose in your rear wheel well in the boot.

Also check the diff mounts. Two round looking things connected to the rear subframe.

Its surely gotta be one of these things unless its a busted spring on its way out clonking?

My clonking was my subframe bushes.

Hi Billy,
The clonking seems to come and go so I guess its a certain type of bump and as said when the car is loaded.
Where are the subframe mounts? What should I look for?
Thanks

Chris

If im honest it does sound the same thing i had. Comes and goes. With load this would be even more so as there is no rubber between the subframe and the chassis anymore creating a metal on metal clonk! bushes will pad this.

the subframe has 4 mounts altogether. Two on the front of the frame and two at the rear of the frame.

Usually its the fron ones that go but i would idvised if these are changed, change all four.

Pop the rear wheels off and you will be able to see the front mount on the subframe on either side. (left of the hub)

check these for play, the same way you would check a ball joint for play. Mechanics usually use a bar with a flat end of somesort and start to lift or jiggle the mount looking for weakness.

carry this test out for the rear mounts of the subframe too.

Last edited:
It could be something much simpler.

In the past I had a clonking from the rear anti rollbar link.

It is the top nut/bush of the link to roll bar connection gets loose/bush worn.

The link goes from the roll bar down to the bottom suspension main arm.

That bottom bush will probably be OK ( it is hidden by the bottom arm plastic aerodynamic cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom