W124 E220 Coupe running temperatures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eleven

Car
Mercedes E500 / Porsche 964 / Alpina D3 Bi Turbo / Saab Viggen
Hi, brand new to the MBClub, but over the past few months have referred to it a lot whilst buying my first Mercedes! After 40+ cars, old and new, this coupe could be here to stay - I love it.

I'll probably have a few questions, but one that is immediate is the running temperature - this morning it went up to just over 100 degrees. Normal has been around 80. Not terrible traffic either. Checked the coolant levels, all fine, air con not on (not working, but thats another question)!

Is this ok, should I bee checking anything.

Iv'e always loved the Coupes, and managed to find my perfect colour combination. I've added one picture, but will add more as I do things including:
Private plate / Nakamichi head unit (suits the cars OM look perfectly) / possibly slightly larger wheels / inner wing rust / lots more.

Mercedes E220 Coupe.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.I would not worry but if it goues higher that that,than maybe you might have as problem.Just to let you know,we`re having a w124 meet in SE London on the 11th next month.You`re very welcome to join us

Looks a nice car congrats on your purchase. Your hot running could be down to several things. My guess is your car has a least 2 fans?? The primary will be a viscous coupled fan attached to the water pump and a secondary fan/fans in front of the radiator which act as "cooling backup" to increase radiator flow when the air conditioning is operative especially at low speed/city driving. It may be one or both of these has gone faulty or is no longer operating at optimum level. When you said the aircon wasn't working that may point you in the right direction. If you let the car idle from cold while stationary you will be able to watch the various fans behaviour as the engine warms up. You can test the viscous coupling using the carrot test. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/53545-w124-coupe-temperature-problem.html

Last edited:
Lovely! Welcome to the considerable joys of W124 Coupe ownership. Every time I drive mine it just seems to get better. I can't add anything to the temperature issue, my 320 seems to run (now the viscous fan has been replaced by one that isn't running all the time) at marginally over 80.

Just a point - you may want to obscure your reg number in case of cloning etc.

Thanks both, it's great to have a few people around who really know these cars. I've mainly owned BMW's, SAAB's and Alfa's, so not sure what to expect with these.

I'll keep a close eye, check both fans and report back.

Hi Charles

Plate has already been removed, now on a private plate, but yes, when posting to the forum i'll hide.

Thanks

Recently driven my 1995 E280 estate to Italy. 1,000 miles in 1 day, fully loaded with the aircon working. Temp sat just over 80 unless running uphill through the alps when it went up to 100. I dont think you have too much to worry about. Enjoy the car.

Thanks all, sat lower this evening, around 90, but will keep an eye on it as it fluctuates.

Drove down to London a few weeks ago, 4 in the car, at a nice speed and it was a gorgeous drive, as smooth as my last car, a BMW 530i Sport, so a happy man overall. And it's returning 32mpg!!!

Out of an E220 you should be getting more than 32 mpg, more like 35 / 36. I have 2 x E220's in different forms and the temp in both of then does not rise above 80 degrees. In your position I would flush out the system to ensure that it was crud free then look at the problem again. You may even have an air lock within the heater system that is causing a slow circulation of coolant. I am not saying that I am right, as I don't have the car in front of me, but its a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian, 32mpg may be misleading, I (sadly) sit in a lot of traffic most days, and this is an overall average, motorway was possibly around the 35 mark. I'm used to getting 20mpg (the BMW 530i) for even at this its making a big difference each month, oh, and it has a lot more style!

Temperature, yes, it was sitting at 80 until yestarday, then I saw it start to rise, hence the initial thread.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom