W124 E220 Engine Will Not Start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

northernlad

Car
Mercedes e220 cabriolet , Vario 814, Sprinter 311,
Help - We have a W124 E220 Automatic which does not start, we have changed the starter motor with a working one and it has not helped. The starter motor gets warm, and the car sounds like it is trying to turn its engine but it sounds very feeble and weak. Any suggestions ...... We have tried the obvious such as new battery, car has a Clifford Immoboliser and alarm, which is deactivating.

I think there is a relay near the battery that can go wrong on those , fuel pump relay ? Worth a look

Can you hear the fuel pump priming? The fuel pump needs both the OVP and fuel pump relays to be functioning properly. Very common for either or both to be faulty.

My 320ce done the same thing last week. Tried starting it one morning & engine just kept turning, there was no spark. Checked the fuel pump relay, that seemed fine.

After scratching my head for a while, sent it to the garage - turned out to be the crank shaft sensor.

Hope that helps.

If I understand you correctly, the starter motor is only turning the engine very S-L-O-O-O-O-W-L-Y. If so, that suggests either a poor engine earth connection, or a poor connection in the cabling from the battery positive terminal to the starter motor. If the starter motor is getting warm, you might find one of the terminals is pretty hot, and if so, that's a poor connection.

Keep the ignition switched off while you do the following.

Try connecting a jump lead direct from the battery positive to the starter motor live terminal; if it then spins normally, the problem lies in the cabling. If the fault is still there, try connecting the jump lead from the starter motor to a good earth point - ideally the battery negative terminal. If neither produces the desired result, you need two jump leads, and do both...

Let us know if the fault is still there after that.

HTH

Last edited:
Problem fixed

After changing the starter motor, trying a new battery, checking the earth to the starter motor, we discovered that the Air Con Compressor had seized which was stopping the belt from turning. So I have removed the belt and fitted a non air con belt to bypass it for now and it is working fine.

Didn't think of that.... Glad you sorted it.

Yes, we couldn't believe that a belt would stop the engine from turning - some serious resistance from the seized air con compressor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom