W124 E220 Estate tidy up. Will I ever learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It sits outside in all weathers, works like it's supposed to and generally behaves itself. No news is good news!

Best two hours read I've had in work for years. Excellent....!

I too have just lost two hours this morning re-reading the whole thread, still a great read.

Great detailed narrative coupled with excellent photos. Knocks Haynes into a cocked hat.

Must be one of the best threads on here IMO.

Sprinter, I for one salute you.:thumb:

WOW Sprinter - I haven't enjoyed a 2 hour read so much for a long time. What a brilliant job you have done. Fantastic!!! I am envious.

It passed its MOT!

I forgot it was due and due to piss poor communication between John and I it ran out. (Incidentally confirming my sister's opinion that we need close supervision:p)

It therefore got driven to the MOT station without checking anything on it at all and it passed.

I really need to service it and I will do so.

A great thread, there's a heap of information for a new W124 owner like myself.

Clever prose, makes it far more interesting.

I feel more confident looking into my own late model 124. Ta muchly.

Cheers
Richard

What an amazing thread.

It's not answered the issue I was looking to solve and the missus is expecting me to fix, but at least it looks like I'm researching faults.

The car looks absolutely beautiful. Fave bits... Properly sealed windows and aerial, and the neat satnav layout.

Nice thread! Nice to see another W124 be given a new lease of life.

I too like the sat nav installation. I just went outside to check, but my sat nav screen's far too large to fit in the same location sadly, or I'd have shamelessly copied the idea!

I bought myself a self-dimming rear view mirror (with inbuilt digital compass) from the US specifically for the W124 (electrical power comes from the interior light), which your brother might like too. They're not expensive. If you'd like details drop me a PM.

I bought myself a self-dimming rear view mirror (with inbuilt digital compass) from the US specifically for the W124 (electrical power comes from the interior light), which your brother might like too. They're not expensive. If you'd like details drop me a PM.

Why PM, let's all see it :confused:

The final step was to fit the new return pipes. The new return pipes cost less than £15 each from Mercedes. EXCEPT Mercedes supplied me with the wrong one for the RH sphere and just supplied a brake pipe. I didn’t notice this until I had everything apart and had destroyed the pipe. Remember the restrictor? The pipe Mercedes supplied, and are adamant is right, doesn’t have it

I have just done the spheres on mine. And like you, MB supplied a brake pipe (A1234205428). According to MB Germany (which my dealer asked after the strange pipe arrived) this has been the correct replacement for the RH return pipe for 2 years now. And its "acceptable" to fit it without the restrictor.

I thought this was odd, but decided to fit the brake pipe (after shaping it, which with limited space is quite hard to get right - a shorter pipe would be better) and i inserted a length of coat hanger wire inside which acts as the restrictor. comparing against the old pipe, this was the same thickness as the old restrictor so I hope its OK. its got to be better than no restrictor.

I asked a guy who works a lot on the Citroen system and he told me the restrictor is there because if the car is loaded and it hits a big pothole the suspension will crash to the ground if the restrictor isn't there.

I've no idea whether or not that is true, I don't have that much experience of these systems; but it sounds plausable. Strangly in my case Mercedes supplied the correct pipes when I kicked up a fuss about it.

Sorry for the tardy response, I've not been on much.

Last edited:
Brilliant thread real enjoyable read, How did you keep the drill lined up when drilling the manifold stud out ?

There are guides in the kit to centre it, but drilling squarely down the stud is down to a steady hand and a reasonable eye.

Hi, 312 Sprinter, just wondering if you still have these?

They're the all chrome variety as fitted to a 280E or a coupe.
Part numbers 123 880 0370, 123 880 0671, 123 880 0371, 123 880 0970, 123 880 2571.

I can't seem to send you a pm?

Cheers
George

Sad to Announce

If you have been following the thread and were wondering why it has gone quiet of late, it is because 312 Sprinter (aka my brother in law Peter) died on July 15th.
You may be interested to know that I incorporated many of your comments in a short eulogy at his funeral, because they summed him up very well as a committed car enthusiast who always looked to help others without personal gain.

Thanks for reading.

Very sorry to hear this. 312 Sprinter's detailed pictorial thread has helped lots of Mercedes Enthusiasts with W124 restoration projects and I am sure they will join me in expressing condolences on the recent sad loss of your brother. RIP.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Just read the entire thread now and it was truly excellent. My condolences.

So sorry to hear this, he would surely be missed. My sincere condolence to his family and friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom