w124 e220 external temperature sensor issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adile220

Car
1996 W124 E220 Coupe
Hi all

Can someone enlighten me on the job of the external temperature sensor on the w124 - I have been told it is linked to the gearbox somehow?

Also - I need to replace mine as apparently it is missing.

Where are they located on the car - is it best to go main dealers for a replacement?

It is a 1996 car.

Best

Adil

Not all cars had it fitted. It sits behind the front number plate and the display is at the bottom of the binnacle

There's no link to the gearbox AFAIK

Nick Froome

Isn't there another temperature sensor in the lambda/o2 probe which keeps the car in a low gear for a minute or so after startup?

The later versions of the e220 coupe had the external temperature readout deleted as a money saving issue. Retrofit is possible but you will need 1. the sensor [ behind the bumper as previously mentioned] 2. the connecting lead to 3. the readout display unit which is mounted in the instrument binnacle.

Hi grober

Yes - the temperature readings are well off.

Not sure what to do - replacement sensor?

Regards

Adil

Thanks all

Could it have an effect on how the car idles?

Have recently noticed when stopping to a halt it lurches forward - like the revs are not dropping to idle speed.

Best

Adil

Could it have an effect on how the car idles?

Have recently noticed when stopping to a halt it lurches forward - like the revs are not dropping to idle speed.

I don't think so. The OTG shows the external temperature which isn't very relevant to the engine. The engine has two temp sensors to feed the instruments & ECU, and the ECU also sees data from the lambda sensors, CPS, etc, etc, all of which is relevant to the engine

220s tend to suffer from throttle body problems - if t's not idling properly, remove the rubber boot to the TB and clean the butterfly valve & housing very carefully with carb cleaner & a clean rag

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom