W124 E220 Fusebox burn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adile220

Car
1996 W124 E220 Coupe
Hi all,

Thought I would change my fuses in my 124, and had a bit of a shock...

The fuse for the blower had completely melted, and looks like may have set alight as the fuse diagram was burned, along with the fuse location and surrounding plastics.

I recall reading this could be due to the blower motor - if anyone can confirm this, or give an insight as to what has happened here it would be appreciated.

Also, how difficult is changing the blower motor on a w124 coupe, and where would be best to source one?

I am fortunate that there doesn't seem to be any further damage, and checking the wiring under the fuse visually the wire seems intact.

Best

Adil

Attachments

• IMG_20170415_1055145.jpg
    IMG_20170415_1055145.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 19
Hi all,

Done a bit of research, and this is not as uncommon as I'd initially thought.

It seems the fix is to fit an inline fuse with a blade type fuse and holder.

My question is, if the current draw is so high, would this be a short term fix?

Or is the blower motor the source, and changing it the best way to proceed.

Best,

Adil

This has happened over a long period of time and is a result of the fuse connection getting higher and higher resistance as it gets hotter and hotter. 95% sure this isn't an issue with the heater motor.
Bypassing the fuse and putting in a good quality inline fuse is a perfectly acceptable method of effecting a permanent solution - get the best one you can find.
Also, just check the fuses near that one and replace the fuse/clean up the connectors as they may have become a little oxidised with the heat.
Seriously, this is nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, it's not unheard of for blower motors to pull an unduly high current especially on the highest setting. Ease of replacement (or otherwise) varies depending on whether you have dealer fit Diavia or factory air conditioning. Or none at all.

Adile

Another rather unscientific test. Would be to repair as suggested by Ted. Then with the blower running full tilt, place your finger on the fuse. If you get burnt quickly? You probably have a motor issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Alright mate,

You may have a rogue hedgehog on the loose !

A lot of blower motor problems are caused by a defective final stage resistor and not the actual motor. I personally would rip out the blower motor, clean the tubes of leafs and filter and check for water ingress. I'd change the fsr in any event as not massively expensive and clean your motor with contact cleaner and check the brushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom