W124 E220 petrol. Poss head gasket fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Futureclassic1

Car
E220 W124 Cabrolet
Evening all.
Please can someone help?
I have a E220 w124 Cabrolet 1995.
I have started to get engine oil in the coolant expansion bottle. It's Engine oil and not transmition oil as it is brown and not red. I have no other symptoms of a head gasket. I am not losing coolant, Engine oil is still as clear as the day I changed it, and I have no running issues. I cleaned out the expansion bottle about 200 miles ago and I can now see Engine oil reappearing. It is very minor at the moment as my oil level does not seem to have dropped by much. I spoke to mercedes who said it may be a head gasket or an oil cooler issue, although he was unable to supply an oil cooler part number as it did not show up on the parts catalogue. Can anyone advise if I am looking at a head gasket problem or something else before I spend big money and time on a head gasket. Also does my engine have an oil cooler? It's a 2.2 litre petrol.
Thanks in advance
Gary

Gary as your engine ever had a head gasket replaced in the past ? and system flush was not done .. Or someone put the oil in there thats got a grudge. .As for oil cooler,, its a new one on me if there is one fitted . But it may have been done as an extra cooler for the engine oil by the owner at some time before you had the car .

Just realised I posted this one twice in different locations on the forum. Sorry for that. As you can tell I'm new to the forum.

I will check my car in the next couple of days for the oil cooler as you have posted some images. I'm pretty sure mine hasn't got that fitted and if its air colled I can rule that out anyway.

Thanks for your info, much apricated.

Answer to the question reference has the head gasket ever been done, is no. I knew the previous owner and he had it from new. I cleaned out the header tank and flushed the coolant out and within about 200miles I can see it is slowly filling back up with oil. Looks like I'm looking at a head gasket replacement.

Answer to the question reference has the head gasket ever been done, is no. I knew the previous owner and he had it from new. I cleaned out the header tank and flushed the coolant out and within about 200miles I can see it is slowly filling back up with oil. Looks like I'm looking at a head gasket replacement.
Maybe worth doing a compression test to see if one cylinder is down on compression - not conclusive of CHG , but could corroborate your suspicions .

Defiantly worth checking before I jump in and start stripping it down. At the moment the car still drives fine and I am only really doing a few miles each week to and from the school. So while it still drives I can keep an eye on it. Just need to find time and money when I can crack on and get it done and out the way. Also if it gets worse I will need to do it sooner than later 😢

Reactions: 219
Best done sooner rather than later as it will wear away the head surface - catch it early enough you might , just might , get away without skimming the head . You will need to fit new head bolts as they are a stretch type and cannot be re-used .

Hello everyone,I have the same problem with the oil in the freezing coolant on an c124 2.2 m111.960 engine,I still drive it daily for 2 months and I try stop it with a kind of powder that you put it in the freezing coolant wich works for a short period ,now the problem is getting worst and I have some gas blowing in the cyllinder head cover when I open the oil lid,the engine still starts well,works well ,but I don't know for how long,I went on a few mechanics and some of them told me to swap the engine,but couldn't find someone that wants to change the head gasket with all that is necessary(planing and maybe some seals replace)if anyone knows a sollution for this problem please help me,I leave in Sheffield,thank you!

Paulw Sorry your having problems . But reading this i think you have a one time game plan,,and thats to replace the head gasket . Also you will need to do full system cooland flush .That gunk you have used in the coolant will block all the passages in the radiator and heater system of your car.

Paulw Sorry your having problems . But reading this i think you have a one time game plan,,and thats to replace the head gasket . Also you will need to do full system cooland flush .That gunk you have used in the coolant will block all the passages in the radiator and heater system of your car.
The only one problem is that I am not a very good mechanic and I have some emotions for this kind of job and I don't know from where to buy all what I need.When I saw first time the oil I went to Mercedes and they told me that the cyllinder head can be corroded around cyllinder number 4,and they can fix the problem but cannot guarantee for what they done and they advice me to sell the car after! If I swap the engine I am affraid to don't meet the same problem.

Here it is,looks good on exterior but is was a lot of work to do on it and it still is,I was thinking that maybe someone knows a mechanic near Sheffield that can fix my issue!I will think what to do in future with it.

Here it is the car,I was thinking that someone knows a mechanic near Sheffield to help me,because on Mercedes they told me something ireal,almost double the car price!

Attachments

• 20210226_211040.jpg
    20210226_211040.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Paul it looks like a keeper and worth a bit of work . Sorry mate i am in Worcestershire . I would look at it for you if i was local keep asking .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom