W124 e220 restore/budget amg convert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudge1984

Car
SL350/S320CDI/CLS320/W124E220/FF RANGE OVERFINCH STYLED
Hi all
ask promised on another thread I will be doing a thread on a W124 amg replica/restore. I've always wanted a pillarless 1980s/90S Merc by and wanted an SEC originally but I put my sensible hat on and wanted a daily drive and the W124 is the sensible compromise. Now I'm no expert mechanic but I can do your standard DIY around a motor, and thought I'd have some fun doing this, I have owned a few W124's but never a coupe. On my search I looked for a mechanically sound example of a pretty one.
I stumbled across a gem, dark grey W124 E220 in dark grey, cream leather, good nick. 142k on the clock and full main dealer history from 1995(every stamp and plenty work done even on the simplest advisories), a couple owners. Got if for a modest £1350, everything electric worked, and mechanically amazing. Both wings had gone, bumpers needed attention, so I thought why not try a cheeky AMG replica! So went shopping online for some bits, got a body kit from Latvia for £500 delivered, pattern wings £50 each. Planned to whack it all together and give a total respray to make it mono-tone and get rid of a few nicks n scratches as I'd be painting the lower half of the car, wings and bumpers anyway, may as well do the roof, bonnet etc and get a clean finish from the local bodyshop who are A1 at full resprays. Have taken quite a few pics but I have a limit so just done a before and after (so far)...AMG alloys and full respray left to do!

Attachments

• IMAG1443.jpg
    IMAG1443.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG1500 (1).jpg
    IMAG1500 (1).jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG1497.jpg
    IMAG1497.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 74
quick question, ive booked in for a full respray(3 weeks wait!), just a bit confused on what to do on the rubber parts next to the wing mirrors, do u guys just clean these up with adhesive cleaners or something. they are the rubbery attachments between the mirror and the wing, mine have gone a little off black mouldy kind of colour. I'm assuming this cant be painted?silly question i know!

You can clean them up and use any number of the tyre black type products on the market to keep them in good order. They are still available from the dealer if you want get new ones though. I seem to remember it being cheaper to buy a whole aftermarket wing mirror than just the rubber part from the dealer.

Cool project can;t wait to see pictures of the respray. A more permanent way to refresh the mirror rubbers is to clean the thoroughly, then clean again with panel wipe, (wax and grease remover), the spray with black plastidip spray... works a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom