W124 e280 104 engine erratic temp guage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHRIS_THOMAS7

Car
e280 w124 carat
Hi,

I have a w124 e280 104 95, that has developed an erratic temp gauge fault it jumps around most of the time while driving.

It will scoot up to well over 100, and then drop like a stone to just above 80.....and it does this all the time now, oil pressure is good and the car runs sweet.....apart from it needing a new throttle body...which im trying to source, or get my one sent away and repaired.

Any ideas on my erratic gauge problem..?:confused:

The temperature sensor is mounted at the front of the engine which you will see if you remove the black front engine cover-pull gently upwards. Have a look at the insulation leading to the sensors to see if it is brittle or broken?

grober thanks i will have a look, its strange because its intermittant, went out tonight she was fine, the sensor has been replaced recently within the last couple of months, I know she will be running a little warm because she need a throttle body, and the idle at the moment is about is just under 1000rpm and not 500 like it should be. Im gonna have a look at that thanks for the suggestion, think i will chuck a thermostat in for good measure

I have seen this before. I think it's a gauge fault, not a sensor problem

Nick Froome

going off topic a little what is wrong with the throttle body and have you managed to find anywhere to get it replaced or repaired yet

Have you thought the problem may be an airlock in the coolant system.

It was not bled properly when you did the previous work.

Also have you read the diagnostic trouble codes, and if so what were the codes showing ?

throttle body has failed i have no cruise control and the idle is high, the part number i need is 000 141 57 25.....with cruise but no asr......

The reason I suggested checking the insulation on the sensor and the fact you seem to be having lots of "electrical" problems was really to suggest the unthinkable= that your engine wiring loom is on the way out. This is a well known problem with cars of this age and is well documented. Its an easy DIY fix with a little care but the cost of a new loom is around £500. If your wiring loom has been replaced already we can all breath a sigh of relief-----but if not? here's a link PeachPartsWiki: W124 Engine Wiring Harness Replacement

grober thanks for that, I think you could be right, that link suggest that this guy was having the same problems as i am having with mine high idle etc, I know the throttle actuator is kaput because it has been looked at by a friend of mine, I am going to try and source a loom and thottle body for the car....going to be expensive i feel....Ho Hum.....its worth it though shes only just clocked 100,000. Thanks appreciated...... chris.

I have a new loom available that I fitted the stopped using the car, its only a few months old. Let me know if your interested. The part number is 124 440 5332

Erratic W124 gauges are not uncommon. I think the problems in the binnacle, not the sensor

The most common faults are erratic temp gauge and oil pressure pinned at 3 bar

Nick Froome

I have a new loom available that I fitted the stopped using the car, its only a few months old. Let me know if your interested. The part number is 124 440 5332

PM sent to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom