W124 E280 exhaust replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RKC-benz

Car
S124 E280 Est (Storm Trooper variant), R129 SL320, Hiace campervan
Hi folks

I am interested in a W124 estate exhaust upgrade. I have tried Remus online to find details but they seem not to make W124 anymore.

Can anyone advise on Remus or similar for a twin pipe look that's a bit less "taxi" than the original. I am not after a louder sound. I want beauty!

I would pay for quality aftermarket or for fabrication. Don't want loud exhaust
as I'm just sorting the stereo out...

Thanks in advance as ever

Personally i'd steer well clear of remus or pretty much any other off the shelf back box then, nasty chavtastic looking fart cannons the lot of 'em imo. Evidence for the prosecution :devil: Mercedes-Benz 300CE Remus exhaust sound - YouTube

I would've thought your best bet would be custom made, there's soooo much room under the back of an estate any decent fabricator/custom exhaust place should be able to knock up something that's more tucked away than the origional and just as quiet. Obviously if you have it made in 304L/316L stainless it'll last pretty much indefinately and be shinier. One thing to watch with stainless exhaust bits is that they can sound a bit tinny compared to OEM, partly 'cause they can be made from thinner material as rust isn't an issue.

I'm guessing this example nicked from the internet was bespoke from the look of it (and designed to be louder than stock) but looks wise it's more to my liking i.e. pretty much hidden instead of stupidly big and in your face so anyone within a mile can see who the noisy git is...

MB W124 E36 AMG Sportauspuff Soundvideo E320 E280 - YouTube

e36T amg exhaust.jpg

Personally i'd steer well clear of remus or pretty much any other off the shelf back box then, nasty chavtastic looking fart cannons the lot of 'em imo.

Disagree with ^ but everyone has different opinions

Happy with my Lorinser one

image_zps35359f65.jpg

image_zpsca89605a.jpg

image_zps2f22e1ed.jpg

I paid a fair bit for it but I would rather go for a known manufacture that has designed and tested the backbox for the car,then go homemade

PS:The remus one for S124 does look $hite :D

d w124 said:
Disagree with ^ but everyone has different opinions Happy with my Lorinser one I paid a fair bit for it but I would rather go for a known manufacture that has designed and tested the backbox for the car,then go homemade PS:The remus one for S124 does look $hite :D

Which one of those pics is your car's lorinser? I tend to agree about buying something tried and tested... Never seen Remus properly on a car either, so all help welcome.

Last edited:
d w124 said:

The Remus pokes out in a wrong manner. V bad look, agreed. So yours is with twin tail pipes - one either side. What does it look like if you just look at the back of the car rather than your up and under shot? And are Lorinser still in the business of making W124 rear sections?

Thanks again

everyone has different opinions
Yep, be a boring world otherwise :)

I don't get the designed, tried & tested thing personally. It's a silencer not rocket science. Obviously if into period 'go faster bits' then need to pay the going rate for Lorinser or whatever as replicating it convincingly (looks and sound) ain't gonna be cheaper but as a fabricator and welder they just look sooooo badly made considering what they sell for... wrinkly bends, welds that look like chicken droppings made with the wrong shielding gas for stainless- the CO2 content in mild steel MIG mixes is too high for stainless resulting in manky black welds due to oxidation and carbon diffusion into the weldpool

The Remus pokes out in a wrong manner. V bad look, agreed. So yours is with twin tail pipes - one either side. What does it look like if you just look at the back of the car rather than your up and under shot? And are Lorinser still in the business of making W124 rear sections?

Thanks again

Crappy picture but that`ll all I have

estate_zpsbf7432e8.jpg

Lorinser no longer make them and they`ve only got S210 ones left

This is the look that prompted me to think stainless steel rather than standard taxi look.

like this ...

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 25
d w124 said:
You'll think different,in a month or so :D

C'mon ... Feel the love!
That's a Japanese E Class with some style.

^^ PS I'm not yet ready for tints on the windows which most new cars have. I think the std slight green look SunDym is Pilkington period class.

C'mon ... Feel the love!
That's a Japanese E Class with some style.

I do like the white 124 but my post meant,wait till you see how my backbox looks once the Lorinser bumper goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom