W124 E300-24 Ignition Control Module

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haaran

Car
Mercedes E55k
I've been having problems with my E300-24 lately. It cuts-off soon after starting and my mechanic reckons it's the Ignition Control Module. Is there anyway of confirming this as it's a very difficult/expensive part to get hold of.

If this is broken, can anyone suggest where to get one as the one fitted to this model is very rare? Alternatively, does anyone have any experience of these ECU repair type places being able to fix the original one?

Thanks

I am sure I have one of these at home (not there now).
Remind me tuesday/wed and I will confirm for you.

These ICMs for the W124 version of the 24 valve M103 engine are expensive & hard to find, there's a world wide shortage of them & they command high prices. Look on ebay.de to see what they go for.

You need to get the correct part number ICM for your car & engine or the car won't work as MB designed it to. The very last incarnation of the ICMs have an anti knock sensor which some of the earlier ones do not have. Earlier ones have to be matched part number to part number.

What's the part # of the ICM on your car now?

The Bosch p/n is 0227400738 and Mercedes p/n is 0125452032.

Can these be repaired?
How can I check that this is the actual cause?

Thanks

012 545 20 32 is the very last ICM in the -24 series with the anti-knock sensor & it will work on any 300-24 engine. This means it's a suitable replacement for ANY ICM for cars with these engines, W124, W140 or R129 which, I'm afraid, makes second hand ones the most desirable & expensive of any -24 ICM.

Can these be repaired?
No, not successfully to my knowledge.

How can I check that this is the actual cause
I thought you said you'd already ascertained it was the ICM?

Last edited:
You could try sending an enquiry form to these guys in Germany. Google Translate

Sometimes its just the output transistors that are fried on these and they can be repaired however if the ignition advance chip is fried its probably toast!

This any help?
EZL =Elektronische Zundanlage------ electronic ignition

Attachments

• 367537d1301965469t-electrical-wiring-diagram-ezl-8-pin-ezllegend.jpg
    367537d1301965469t-electrical-wiring-diagram-ezl-8-pin-ezllegend.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Can these be repaired?
How can I check that this is the actual cause?

Thanks
i know somebody in london who repair them, i think solider fatique, bare in mind there is robert walker have broken one and has fuel distributor but igniytion might have gone.

there is a guy in chipneham breaking 300 sl 24v he might still have it

alternatively find whole w124 24v and buy for that as gearbox and the like go as well and when u need them u will pay an arm and a leg for them if u plan to keep the car long

Thanks for your help guys.

My mechanic thinks the ICM has gone but I guess I just want some sort of second opinion as it's a problematic part to replace.

i know somebody in london who repair them, i think solider fatique, bare in mind there is robert walker have broken one and has fuel distributor but igniytion might have gone.

there is a guy in chipneham breaking 300 sl 24v he might still have it

alternatively find whole w124 24v and buy for that as gearbox and the like go as well and when u need them u will pay an arm and a leg for them if u plan to keep the car long

Can you get the details for me please?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom