W124 E300 D estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SgtSlow

Car
Volvo XC70
So, I’m new here, and as such I can't post in the classifieds. I'm actually looking in earnest for a good W124 D estate with air conditioning.

I found one, and viewed it today. I'm an active-ish member on the Pistonheads Barging forum, so a few here might "know" my online prescence there.

In any case, this is what I found...

Mercedes-Benz E300d W124 estate 1.p.owner | eBay

Adjustments.jpg

I'll caveat this by saying; I'm not a W124 series genuis, nor even a Mercedes marque wizard. But I'm handy with spanners and have good idea of what's good, and what's.... less good.

£3,995 !!

I just visited to see this green W124 (J224 HBD or J224HBD)

Not that good in-person. Alarm bells ringing when I phoned and asked condition. Answer was "very original, solid original un-molested example".

What this in plain speak meant is that it was a little bit crusty. Annoying

Front wings both needed replaced or a good amount of work to kill the rust and rust bubbles under the paint. Drivers door lock was buggered by a theif at some point so key won't work, but central locking from passenger or boot worked. The door straps on both front doors make a very annoying cronch when doors opened. Both rear suspension spheres need replacing (and who knows how many bushes). Rusted out main engine radiator leaking from top. A/C not charged (at a guess) so A/C clutch wouldn't engage. Oil weeping from engine somewhere. Radio buggered. Ariel for radio won't retract all the way down. Driver's seat bolster worn through and "repaired" with black tape. Big old stone chip in front windscreen, almost exactly in the drivers eye-line. Headlight glass cracked. Flat paint all around. Requires a full service and all fluids changed. No history. No books. "The 1 previous owner" is actually 2 prior owners - the last owner and the first. Misleading advert - none of these faults were identified.

The seller bartered and pushed and kept "trying to do a deal", quite eagerly, beginning to border on aggressive. I suspect he's had it a while - it's not been taxed since 17th April 2019.

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, or bad etiquette - I'm new here.

Double also, I'm still looking for a suitable car... My inbox is open (in lieu of my ability to post in the classifieds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to be clear - my inbox is not open yet - I'm currently in the newbie probation period.

I am still, however, looking for a tidy example of sobering similar to what I posted...

That's worth about a grand, from a Trade chancer...
Most 124s on Ebay need much spending.
When looking at cars with SLS (mainly S124, S210) - if the fluid reservoir looks "rather depleted", then the spheres are shot. Like that one does...

That might explain, in part, why he was so keen to try and do a deal.

I was pretty firm on my price, he kept reducing his. But not enough to make it make sense for me.

As a guide, how much are these worth?

From ratty but driveable - lots of love required to get it nice, all the way to - pretty much mint.

Thanks again, I don't really know how much these should be up for.

Does it have to be a diesel?

Does it have to be a diesel?
Preferably.

It absolutely has to be an estate. It absolutely has to have functioning air conditioning.

I prefer diesels, but if a nice petrol engined car came up, I wouldn't rule it out just because it's not a diesel.

A friend of mine has too many cars & the other day was talking about getting rid of one. He thought it would probably be his W124 estate that goes.

It's a 4 speed auto smoke silver 'L' reg 7 seat E280 (petrol) Estate with the Sportline suspension package, Mushroom leather, AC, CC, sunroof, leccy windows, tow hook & more in Maidenhead. Not 100% sure but I think the mileage is around 100K. It's a nice car. If you're interested pipe up & I'll speak to him.

That might explain, in part, why he was so keen to try and do a deal.

I was pretty firm on my price, he kept reducing his. But not enough to make it make sense for me.

As a guide, how much are these worth?

From ratty but driveable - lots of love required to get it nice, all the way to - pretty much mint.

Thanks again, I don't really know how much these should be up for.

Circa 95% of them will be between 500 quid and 5 grand.

Have a look on Ebay. Search 'W124' in the Advanced option with the 'sold' box ticked, this will show you the range of sale prices over recent months.

I did do my due diligence as far as eBay is concerned, but the prices were mostly under £1,500, and currently advertised examples which aren't selling are all over the place price-wise.

How often do forum members here attempt to "thin the herd", as I'll be selling my XC70 next weekend, and be totally car-less until I pick something up.

I'm pretty much totally set on an E300 diesel estate. I really fancy one.

The green estate you've viewed has been for sale for a good while..it's probably worth £1500-£2000 max I would say.

I sold a nice blue example with a turbo a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom