W124 E300 Ingition Barrel Dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blobbyknobby

Hi looking some advice.

Had my car ready for mot, took her a drive returned and the key jammed in the ignition after some wiggling i got it realeased but now the steeringlock is on and the key wont turn in the ignition to release it... how can i release the steering lock and bypass the ignition switch ?

Ive had to cancel the mot now!! Feck. :-(

This has been covered a number of times on the forum before so there are a bunch of threads with instructions and even photo's of what needs to be done. Use the search button and ye shall find. :)

Dont worry, it's not a major issue for someone that has experienced this before.

as stupid as this sounds... this is all dependant on actually being able to get the key turned to accesory? my key enters the barrel but wont turn. will the barrel removal still work ?

Have a hacksaw at the ready just in case it won't wiggle free haha.

Use Vaseline. My ignition barrel locked up not long after it had got notchy. I talked to a mate in the locksmith industry and told me to dip the key in a tub of vaseline and work the key in and out of the lock. Adding more vaseline to the key regularly. After about five mins the lock tumblers freed up and the lock worked perfectly. It has been fine ever since.

This reminds me, I need to revaseline my ignition lock to save it from any future issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom