W124 E300D engine same as W210 E300TD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nastynick

I have a '99 S210 E300TD and was wondering if it is the same engine (minus turbo) that went into the 124 Series E300D and also would it lend itself to running on Veg oil?

Also, what would I need to do to the engine to make this happen if anything?

Car journalist and fanatic Jonny Smith recently wrote about his W124 diesel running on used oil and smelling like a chippy. I'm hoping that my engine is old enough to run on it without any major problems.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

Obviously I don't class the chippy smell a problem, far from it lol....!

Doesn't say if I can use straight veg oil (SVO) or the processed waste veg oil (WVO).

Also, if I bulk buy a load of SVO, and use it as fuel, what are the tax considerations? Do I have to calculate the tax per litre and send off a cheque to HMRC?

Is fitting an additional in-line fuel filter, and replacing or cleaning the fuel tank strainer a big job? Been advised that running SVO will strip all the crudd from the tank so will need to be vigilant about the filters.

I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to car mechanics.

Is fitting an additional in-line fuel filter, and replacing or cleaning the fuel tank strainer a big job? Been advised that running SVO will strip all the crudd from the tank so will need to be vigilant about the filters.

I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to car mechanics.

there are loads of people on the veg forum (and on here) that run their W210 E300D's on veg oil, both SVO and WVO.

nothing is a big job really to get you up and running. but you need to carry the tools and a spare filter with you at all times.

some say the turbo 606 is best at no more than 90% veg oil.

you only have to pay tax if you go over 2500 litres of the stuff

there are loads of people on the veg forum (and on here) that run their W210 E300D's on veg oil, both SVO and WVO.

nothing is a big job really to get you up and running. but you need to carry the tools and a spare filter with you at all times.

If I put SVO into the tank for the first time, will it start dragging all the crap fromt he tank through pretty much instantly or will it happen over time.

I'm dying to start using SVO in my car but dont want to be stranded at the side of the A46 on the first day on my way to work.

Has any fellow MB brethren had to change the tank strainer and in line fuel filter and has any tips on this? I don't seem to be able to find any relevant information on the veg diesel forum concerning Mercs.

Thanks.

If I put SVO into the tank for the first time, will it start dragging all the crap fromt he tank through pretty much instantly or will it happen over time.

I'm dying to start using SVO in my car but dont want to be stranded at the side of the A46 on the first day on my way to work.

Has any fellow MB brethren had to change the tank strainer and in line fuel filter and has any tips on this? I don't seem to be able to find any relevant information on the veg diesel forum concerning Mercs.

Thanks.

Speak to Olivier on here, he has the same car as yours.

if you chuck it in the filters will clog fast, probably a few hundred miles, dependiong on their current state. then just renew main filter and clean strainers. after about 1000 miles i'd say you are good to go and the filters should start to last 3000+ miles.

There's many an OM.606 and the earlier OM.603's running on straight veggy.

Carry a spare filter, and be prepared to change all the 'Orrible 'O' ring seals on the plastic fuel-lines--if you havent already, you soon will do after using the veg!

Veggy and BioDiesel will tend to clean all those years of crud that accumulate in the tank and system, so expect to use a filter or two in the first couple of months veg use.

You can use Fresh Unused veg as well as Well Filtered, and DRIED Used-Veg (WVO)
--Never ever use WVO that you yourself Havent filtered and dried properly.....

Alternatively, Make Proper BioDiesel from the WVO--Its the 'best option' from the engine's point of view....

Its best to blend a little std. diesel with the veg when used in the Multi-Valve 605 and 606 engines, There have been cases of Ring-Gumming,--which Isnt the end of the world, but avoidable--If making Proper BioDiesel, blending shouldnt be needed, run it 100%...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom