W124 E300TD, stunning example

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice looking car, you've got to love a w124 diesel

A check of the mot history shows advisory on rust a few years back, so I'd be looking carefully underneath after having to have multiple holes on mine rectified

Hi, it's my car I've got for sale. The previous owner has attended to all previous mot advisories including brand new wings fitted. I've just had it through the MOT bearing no advisories. I've owned 12 of these over the years, this one really is a stunning example!

Lovely but its Cat C/D history means it will never really be an investment car

Sjmw said:
Lovely but its Cat C/D history means it will never really be an investment car

But perfect as a keeper!

ftb said:
"Stunning"? Really :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback, taken onboard. But can you elaborate into further detail please as to why using "stunning" to describe this car is not relevant? Thanks

Just another example of the debasement of the language, really. Can you name one person who has been stunned by the car, how it happened (did he or she slip and bang his or her head against the car?), and how long it took to recover full consciousness?

Ftb is clearly not a fan of the W124, and neither am I; it's an old car, and steering, handling, roadholding, safety and performance have moved on a long way in 23 years. I'd disagree with Ccaallvviinn, too; I for one certainly don't love a W124 diesel - I'd literally (sic) rather eat razor blades than drive one:D...). You can buy a much better car than that for the same sort of money; agreed, it won't be a W124, but that's rather the point.

The car itself, though, does look very nice indeed in the one photo, and if it is as described I'm quite prepared to believe it's worth that sort of money. Good luck with the sale; the W124 has a strong following, and I don't suppose you'll have much trouble selling it.

Lol! Nicely put. But I guess with you admitting not being a w124 fan it explains why you don't agree with the car being described in such a way.

I guess in the classic car world it's more relevant to use such words due to maintaining excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically, hence such descriptions can be justified.

Anyway, feedback taken on board and I have toned down the description slightly. However, it still is a "stunning" example.

Thanks for the feedback, taken onboard. But can you elaborate into further detail please as to why using "stunning" to describe this car is not relevant? Thanks

When selling a car I let the buyers decide whether it's a "stunning", "fantastic", "very rare" or "sought after" example. :dk:

Maybe I should've wrote: "Please come and view this car so I can use your views as reference on how to advertise my car" lol!

Good luck, a well set up multivalve diesel has a ride to kill for, and I've loved the ones I've chugged round in.

I don't think use of the word 'stunning' is wrong here. The English language is not a fixed set of rules - meanings of words are constantly changing. For example 'wicked' used to mean evil, but nowadays it more often means great or excellent. If, however, the poster had said 'literally stunning', I would have agreed!

Anyway, back on topic - why only one photo?

I'd literally (sic) rather eat razor blades than drive one:D...). You can buy a much better car than that for the same sort of money; agreed, it won't be a W124, but that's rather the point.

I'm assuming that you have had a 124??If you did then it was't a good example
With the money I was offered for my 320 I can surely get one a very nice modern car like a 2008 E class or even better but I choose not to

Williamwoo said:
I don't think use of the word 'stunning' is wrong here. The English language is not a fixed set of rules - meanings of words are constantly changing. For example 'wicked' used to mean evil, but nowadays it more often means great or excellent. If, however, the poster had said 'literally stunning', I would have agreed! Anyway, back on topic - why only one photo?

Thanks William. Regarding only one photo, are you referring to the listing? It should have 6 pictures listed.

I'm assuming that you have had a 124??If you did then it was't a good example
With the money I was offered for my 320 I can surely get one a very nice modern car like a 2008 E class or even better but I choose not to

No, I've never had a W124, though I've ridden in one a few times. I do, of course, have an R129, 1994 vintage. I bought it on a whim, and I like it for the open-top motoring, but I'd not have one as my only car unless I did very little mileage; it, too, is an old car, and on it, too, it shows when compared to a W211.

I understand that old cars have their attractions for many, but I'm (relatively) immune to their charms, I'm afraid. I could replace my W211 estate with the W124 estate that started this thread, and I have no doubt I could very happily live with it if I had to, but I choose not to.

Last edited:
Thanks William. Regarding only one photo, are you referring to the listing? It should have 6 pictures listed.

Yes, the advert. However, having looked at it again, you are correct, there are 6 pics, accessed via the dots above the price - not a very intuitive webpage design, I suggest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom