W124 E320 1994 throttle body issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grantmackay80

Hi there, I have a problem with my 1994 E320 coupe. A month ago I the problems started when my air con stopped working as did the cruise control, kick down and general acceleration seemed to bog down, the car also struggled at idle and danced up and down. The car ariel started to work when it wanted to as did the window wiper.

I took the car to the garage and the sparkie identified the throttle body as the issue and sent it away to be tested but this took 3 weeks for the company to admit they couldnt test it. The sparkie then sourced a replacement from a doner car and fitted it which fixed most of the problems apart from the window wiper and arial which I think could be the window wiper switch and not sure about the arial issue, the error codes cleared also. There was a new problem where the car would idle at 750rpm at cold and rise to 1100 to 1400 when warm, almost the reverse of what it should. After a day the car started to develop issues where in kick down it would bog down and when you tried to accelerate it would bog down, the car also on occasion would not accept throttle
but that cleared when you turned it off and on again, it also wouldnt change up into fourth gear when trying to accelerate but then did change when you back off a little .

Can anyone please advise me on what action to take next.

Thanks for time Grant

The first post in Derek's link quotes £500 + vat, for a new loom. Sadly that was 5 years ago and the price has virtually doubled since then :(

Little doubt that the wiring loom is shot: quite likely that the ETA wiring has also gone. Handling the loom when looking at the ETA is likely to have instigated round two of the symptoms but don't blame the sparkie: once the insulation starts to crumble you're in deep trouble whatever you do.
Sadly you are likely to be looking at £1500 or so, so much will depend on how good your coupe is in other respects (rust, head gasket etc.) and on how much you love it.

Cheers gents, I did suggest this to my sparkie who used to work for Merc and he spoke to his pal who worked on these cars but they didnt seem to think this was the issue.

I have had a look through the wiring loom link DRUK provided and found the thread where the guy refurbished his loom and will give that a go, Im an engineer so hopefully will manage it, if not its going in the bin.

Thanks for taking the time to message me back.

Grant

Grant,
I'll be breaking a '92 320 estate soon if you fancy any wiring loom bits from that.
I can't confirm whether it's had a replacement loom but it was still running well (none of the usual symptoms, no issues at all) until the true horror of the sill/load area/underbonnet corrosion became apparent. That's the reason it's being scrapped.

AB

Does it have heated front seats...??

I'm just as keen on recycling as the next green eyed, red blooded man... :):)

BorisRusafov will be on soon, does it have a 5 speed auto :D

BorisRusafov will be on soon, does it have a 5 speed auto :D
Is he still needing one?
I've got one. Came out of the rotten 320TE I mentioned above.

I'll PM him and see.

Sorry for the threadjack...

Still needing one going to try and refurb my own one when i get round to it. How much you after for your loom? Cheers Grant

Grant, I can't PM you.
I think you need to post more, then you can use PMs. Unless you've decided you don't want PMs, in which case post your email here and I'll get you that way.

Hi Gents,

I have rebuilt my wiring loom which wasnt in too bad a shape but glad I did it as it has solved the problem where the car would bog down when you try to accellarate hard. The car still has some faults the radio arial and the window wiper still have a mind of there own but I suspect the window wiper could be the stock its self but not sure. More importantly the car still revs low on start up at 700rpm then when warm it ticks over at 1500rpm. It goes down to about 900rpm when you put it in gear and drives well when your going, also when you rev the car in park or nutral it seems to dance when you get to 4000rpm but runs perfect when driving right up to the red line, it seems to go to tick over when you slow down about town so pulls a little.
The only other thing I can think that it might be is the wiring to the throttle body from the car.

Can anyone please help.

Thank again for your time Grant.

the cause of the revs dancing has been correctly answered by Grober in you other post.

Rev limiter operates in neutral/park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom