W124 E320 Cabriolet bringing up to scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jam38

Car
VW Sharan 1.9 TDI, Audi 80 1.6 TD - wish I still had a Benz!
As some you guys know a couple of months ago I bought myself one of my childhood favourite cars. The Cab.

I will try to list the problems; solutions and the order of work that I intend to do things. I welcome any thoughts, suggestions and criticisms. I want to bring the cab back to its original condition and make her look good again so that she will last another few years.

After getting her home, she has pretty much been sitting on my drive. This week I hope to finally get things moving. The expression that ‘one man’s trash is another man’s treasure’ has its merits. I have bought BillyW124’s donor car to get some parts off and although there are a few more things that I need, it is pretty much around 80-90% of what I require in terms of parts.

Pictures show the car as I bought her without a clean or valet:

Last edited:
Pictures of her after a wash and interior clean:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/sdc16572.jpg/

As with every car they always have issues. And I am happy to say that there are many small niggles, but nothing major. At the price I got it for I am not going to complain. The only thing that I didn’t budget for and only became apparent when I got the car home was that the roof is leaking.

I have had the car checked and up on a ramp and it looks and drives well. My mechanic took her for a spin and thankfully stated that it does not need major works to get sorted. I will be carrying out a full service, changing plugs, thermostat and one of the rear shocks is leaking so that will have to be replaced. The wiper mechanism is not working and the seat belt presenters are temperamental. is there any other thing that I should do?

After the mechanics have been sorted she will be going to the body shop to get bits and pieces sorted.

Some of the panels will be a straight swap from the donor car including the rear lights and side repeaters. I will be putting a load of parts for sale and I will also be needing some more bits so keep an eye out on the for sale and wanted threads.

I am still debating whether to get the cab detailed at the body shop or get a professional. I am leaning towards a detailer mainly because they will also clean the interior to a high spec. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don’t mind travelling, but not too far out of Brum would be nice.

Finally I will be taking the cab to get the hood and headliner replaced at the Car Hood Warehouse Ltd. Does anyone have any views/experiences (good or bad) with this company? I have looked around and obtained quotes but these guys look good and were the most competitively priced.

I will update as and when, but I would appreciate feedback/thoughts.

Last edited:
The interior roof liner does not look like OEM - has it been replaced prior? In fact looking at the exterior of the roof it also does not look OEM.
The door alignment problem can be easily sorted by adjusting the striker plate for the lock. You just need the right Torx socket for it.
The bumper can be repaired fairly easily and resprayed I even reaipred one and keep it as a spare when i had a new one fitted.

The interior roof liner does not look like OEM - has it been replaced prior? In fact looking at the exterior of the roof it also does not look OEM.
The door alignment problem can be easily sorted by adjusting the striker plate for the lock. You just need the right Torx socket for it.
The bumper can be repaired fairly easily and resprayed I even reaipred one and keep it as a spare when i had a new one fitted.

Regarding roof - I'm not sure mate, your guess is as good as mine. Thank you for the bumper and door tip though. :)

What is your budget for this project, do you mind me asking?

I'm just sitting here thinking a U turn may be best i.e. sell it and go buy a low milage minter if you were planning to spend a fair bit on it. It will be cheaper in the long run I'm sure. These cars are expensive to refurb correctly. A genuine hood lining is VERY expensive for instance.......

If it is a long term progressive year after year thing as and when you can afford it while enjoying the use of, then I can see the logic.

Maybe hit the roof with Renovo, should bring it up a treat.......

Have to agree with WDB124066 - refurbing these cars is expensive particularly the roof.
I can confirm that it does not have an OEM roof headlining - here is a picture I took of mine 5 mins ago.The exterior does however look OEM. Using Renovo or Autoglymn roof treatment will get the roof back to a clean condition but you mention that it is leaking. Is this from the seals or the roof? Both are expensive to replace. Seals need to be bought from Mercedes and are £100s - roof is £1000s. Have you checked the roof mechanism is OK as this is another expensive area to sort out.
The colour and condition of the coolant expansion tank would also give me cause for concern.
scillyisles-albums-e320-cabriolet-picture5482-oemrooflining.jpg

Last edited:
have to agree with wdb124066 - refurbing these cars is expensive particularly the roof.
I can confirm that it does not have an oem roof headlining - here is a picture i took of mine 5 mins ago.the exterior does however look oem. Using renovo or autoglymn roof treatment will get the roof back to a clean condition but you mention that it is leaking. Is this from the seals or the roof? Both are expensive to replace. Seals need to be bought from mercedes and are £100s - roof is £1000s. Have you checked the roof mechanism is ok as this is another expensive area to sort out.
the colour and condition of the coolant expansion tank would also give me cause for concern.
scillyisles-albums-e320-cabriolet-picture5482-oemrooflining.jpg

+1

Right now i think the main priority is getting the roof sorted, you've got a few quotes already right? But id still say look around. The more info you can get the better especially the type/quality of job thats going to be carried out on it.

Personally i would ask to see some previous work they have done on a 124 cab.

You mentioned it has been checked over mechanicaly wise and your indy is happy with the way its running. Thats a good start.

All the other cosmetics will be 95% taken care of by the donor. Wings, Bumpers, claddings, rear lights, grill etc.

I would even recomend before you scrap the donor once you have taken everything off get your body shop to cut out the rear portions of the car and use as repair panels as they are faultless.

If you play your cards right you potentially can bring this up to a really good standard.

Another thing thats bugging me is that front screen, it does look heavily delaminated in the front. This will need to be replaced, pref via insurance windscreen excess claim. No more than £75 for that claim without affecting your no claims.

Remove your front mats, and sound deadenings mats in the front footwells and inspect. Dont be alarmed at this point if you find water in there.

Two reasons for this:

1. That front windscreen
  2. Judging by the rear boot lid pics, I wouldnt put it past that your front two drain holes are blocked. These need to be free for water to pass otherwise your going to get internal leaks. check these out. The drains are found on either corner of the windscreen. They look like thin rectangle shaped things. the other drain is in the middle where the wiper arm is.
If i were you i would pick up a decent second hand grey interior on ebay. 124 interiors pop up from tim to time. It will cost you less than re trimming. If its just the driver seat thats rough and the rest is ok then you could re trim. It looks as though you have manual seat operation which broadens your scope, a coupe interior will be a straight fit.

I have an idea for you however, give us a call and we can discuss,

Like i say play your cards right and you'll nail this.

The engine bay well, ill let the donor pics do the talking:

Last edited:
Personally if i were you mate, the current engine from the donor should be transplanted straight into your one!!

The one in your pic looks like its been fettled with. The throttle cable for starters is short so its going across the hole head. looks like a e220 one.

I recall you saying that your pedal is stiff. They all are stiff but looking at that, it may be reason for cause?

Secondly its missing the plastic covering on the left to cover all the wiring loom portion.

Not big issues but seeing as the mileage difference between the two is nothing i dont see why not.

Referb the diff, steering box, replace the CHG on this donor before putting it in yours. It'll be top draw....or save these for a rainy day and shelve.

The loom is in top nick too and considering you want to swap them around, to keep things in check and avoid any mis match for whatever reason solidifies claims to perhaps implant this lump.

desicions desisions. !

This of course is all in my opinion, and your are entitled to do whatever you wish. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I have taken on board your views and I know it will be difficult to bring to an A1 standard. On the plus, the body work will be done by a friend who owns his own body shop so that will save a few pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom