W124 E320 CE Fan belt Tensioner???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Urfy

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble getting the fan belt on my E320 CE.... there is some kind of tensioner above the alternator but I cannot see any ways to adjust that so I can fit the belt on.

I know on my 190E there are some kind of spring adjusters which is very simple but on my E320 I have no idea ?????

Hi, when was your 320CE registered, there are two different tensioners.

The first is a manual, 'external' tensioner, used upto sept 1994 and then an automatic 'internal' tensioner after that date.

The first has, from memory, a 13mm nut located to the right of the water pump, with a threaded rod running through the middle.

The second is automatic and is located to the left of the power steering pump pulley. I think the size of the nut is 15mm.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that..
My will me the automatic one as it is a 1995/N reg.
I can see the bolt on the left of the power steering pump.
So how does the automatic one work? do I have to undo the nut?
what will i need to do to get the belt on?
please advise.
Kind Regards.

All you should need to do is put the spanner on the nut and turn the tensioner clockwise. As you turn the spanner you will feel the force of the spring that holds the belt under tension. Hold the tensioner as far clockwise as you can and you should be able to slip the belt off. A good tip is to make a note of the belt route to aid putting it back on.

I think you mean anticlockwise. I may be wrong though :eek:

Not sure, WIS says clockwise. But the way I do it is if it wont turn one way it must be the other!! (sometimes) :)

Thanks guys for all the tips .....it was anti-clockwise.
Take care.
Ivan

Does this help ?
Fan_Belt_Layout_CE.jpg

Layout for 280E, 320E, 320CE
1. V Belt tensioner
2. Crankshaft
3. Idler pulley - Vehicles with A/C
4. Fan
5. Air pump - Vehicles with catalytic convertor (500e)
6. Three-phase generator
7. Idler pulley
8. Power steering pump
9. Coolant pump

Last edited:
Thanks mate that has solved all my problems regarding the belt and tensioner.
Cheers
Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom