W124 E320 Coupe or 500/560 SEC ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LoveMercs

Hello!

I'm torn between buying a 320E coupe (w124), or an older 500 or 560 SEC.

I'd be interested to hear forum member's opinions on which car is ... 'better'

TIA,

Jim

W124 coupe is a design generation on from the W126 SEC altho they are contemporary.e.g. the 5 link rear suspension design of the W124 based on the 190 is superior to the more primitive trailing arm design of the W126 and so they handle better.The W124 resists rust better altho the later water based paint cars are not so good as the early solvent based paint cars. This is quite important in cars that are at least 10 years old in the case of the W124 and 13 years in the case of the W126. The W126 cars are more complex and in general more expensive to run / insure. V8 W124 coupes don't exist so if you need that v8 sound you have to go to the W126 SEC. There are lots of pros and cons for both models but I would have to say for everyday motoring the W124 E320 is the model to go for. You will need deep pockets to use a W126 SEC 500/560 as a daily runner. If you just want a car for Fair Days and Holidays THEN THE W126 SEC makes an attractive alternative.

Thanks for the replies.

Are the 500/560 SEC's considered more reliable than the W124s?

As for running costs... I was thinking of converting to LPG.

Thanks for the replies.

Are the 500/560 SEC's considered more reliable than the W124s?

As for running costs... I was thinking of converting to LPG.

Many of the parts that give problem sometimes are common to both, if running on gas the the 126 would be my choice

Note, there is a lot of difference between the 500 and 560. The 500's are comfortable and reasonably powerful, the 560's are powerful even by todays standard. Fuel consumption between the two is no different.

The 560's have self leveling suspension and many have ASR, other than that, very little difference.

420 SEC were produced in relatively low volume and again you don't have noticeably different fuel consumption for less power.

Leather is an absolute must in an SEC.

Most desirable colours are
Black/Black
Black/Mushroom
Darker colours seem to suit the shape of the car better.

Don't pay a premium for a car badged an AMG that claims to be a factory original unless there is extensive documentation to back this up, many have had bits bolted on.

I'd be hard pressed to choose, but in the end I think I'd go for a gas-fuelled SEC. The W126 was probably the best car in the world in it's time.

Hello,

My dads owned several 124's and one 500SEC this was a great car when he had it, He did 70K miles in it. It was a blue with cream leather. Went like stink back then (it was an F reg one and it was a couple of yrs old when he bought it).

Lovely comfy car, the chrome on the door when you open it, seat belts that come and get you, with Lpg in the boot you would still have a huge boot !!

I'd go for the SEC and although never driven one it would have to be the 560 SEC.

I'm guessing service parts would be a little more but if you find a good indy then labour rates would be the same. £ per smile the SEC would win.

you can search the forum to see how much i have spent on my SEC... same with KLP_92 and more recently Mudster...

SEC's are a serious commitment and are not cheap to maitain... i must order something at least weekly from the dealer to keep the car tip top and parts arent cheap... Just paid £120 for a switch to control the orthopaedic seats.. paid £35 for some tiny bolts that secure the chrome trim on the bumper the week before..

I have filled 1.5 lever Arch files with bills & invoices since i bought the car in April 2007...

a tank of fuel costs almost £80 and servicing is not cheap (and i do it all myself)...

and if you are unlucky then budget for big workshop bills (see some of KLP's threads over the last couple of years)..

That is all of course after finding a decent example which took me over 2 years!!

I bought my car at a good price, but have already spent over double what i paid for the car on getting it to what it is now... and im not done yet!

BUT all that aside they are the best car ever made by mercedes in my opinion.

W124's are a lot simpler, lot more useable as a daily car, cheaper in almost every way and will be a lot easier to find...

will it still give you that grin when your in the 3rd lane overtaking anything and everything... no way.. but it depends what u want..

will it still give you that grin when your in the 3rd lane overtaking anything and everything...
the 300CE-24 / E320 coupe is no slouch with a handbook top speed of 146mph ;)

and I would also suggest that they too can empty bank accounts and fuel tanks with frightening ease.

The SEC was the flagship car of its day and is much better looking imho.

Perhaps you should test drive a few sorted examples of both to help make your decision.

Ade

ps. what happened to Big Yank, wasn't he was testing a 560 SEC as a daily driver?

Hello,

Like the new picture jay...

I don't think fuel is a Major issue if he is putting gas in it? What would one do on a run at sensible speeds? 20? with 15 round town.

My bus regularly does 200 miles for £60, I just fill it and off I go (its great)

Agree bills is a problem with parts being exspensive, you guys have also had a lot of 'extra' work done to your beasts so thats money not 'needed' for the running costs in away? (I mean here wheels, exhausts, trims, etc etc)

Depends what you want from the car, as a daily driver especially this time of year (salt...) I would not really want to drive either a nice w124 or the 560 rather leave it for fine days...

have fun looking though

I love both of these cars, but as a thought, and I know they're very very rare, an E36 coupe or turbocharged 300/320 would be a nice alternative.

Still I think the 126 has a lot of presence that even an AMG 124 struggles to match.

124 is the sensible choice, 126 is the committed choice :)

Will

yuk (sorry if anyone has a car this colour)......
Every German taxi driver has a car that colour...

... but not many of them will be 560SECs, I suspect. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom