W124 E320 Coupe towing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

erictharg

I'd like to use my '94 E320 Coupe to tow a light car trailer occasionally. Total weight likely less than 800kg, but handbook implies it isn't approved for towing. I've found a towbar listed with Bosal, and whilst it looks a bit messy to fit it's clearly possible.
Anyone do any towing with a W124 Coupe, and any potential problems I need to be aware of?

The running gear is almost all common to the coupe, estate & saloon. An estate will tow 2100 Kg so I wouldn't think an 800 Kg trailer would trouble a coupe at all

What does the handbook say?

Nick Froome

I regularly tow about 1250kg with my C220,& it copes well with it. Cant see why your coupe with a bigger engine shouldnt. Got my towbar s/hand off e-bay.

It's the same bar for the saloon, coupe and cabrio.
Max towing weight = 1900kg, Max nose weight 75kg
Not as hard to fit as it looks, but there is a small cut to the bottom bumper.

sTeVe

I'd like to use my '94 E320 Coupe to tow a light car trailer occasionally. Total weight likely less than 800kg, but handbook implies it isn't approved for towing. I've found a towbar listed with Bosal, and whilst it looks a bit messy to fit it's clearly possible.
Anyone do any towing with a W124 Coupe, and any potential problems I need to be aware of?

its important to know what the handbook says. if its not approved for towing it would be illegal. if towbars exist and specifically state they fit coupe though then i suspect it will be fine.

it will tow 800kg no problems if it is allowed to tow though

i am sure i've seen pics of 124 coupe's with towbars on so i think you'll be fine.

So you are going to spoil the beautiful lines of a 124 320 Coupe with a tow bar:ban:Just a small cut to the bumper:wallbash:

Just my own take on it:D:wallbash:

So you are going to spoil the beautiful lines of a 124 320 Coupe with a tow bar:ban:Just a small cut to the bumper:wallbash:

Just my own take on it:D:wallbash:

you could fit a detachable towbar.....

Appreciate your concern over spoiling the lines, but I've got to tow my racer somehow. I'd sooner have the car with the towbar then not have the car at all, and have to drive around in some huge 4WD truck just to tow a little car around a few times a year. Thanks for the feedback.

A swan neck (even fixed) doesn't look too bad IMO. Not like the bolt-on ball type.

If it has Sportline it is a Merc no-no and if it's specifically excluded your insurance company might be less than co-operative in the case of a claim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom