W124 E320 coupe twin turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"The facts are that this particular car has been back to TT and they couldnt sort it"

they couldn't sort out the fuel management? or what? im aware of everything g.f.p has mentioned about the car in the forum and as far as i know,the problem was 2 positions out on the variable valve timing which the mechanic fixed..

so should i get the Additional Injector Controller with 1 injector Low impedance? would that stop the over fuelling problem and perhaps the smoke?
another question,i cannot find the intercooler ( if there is one)..and was thinking of installing 2 side mounted intercoolers,any ideas of where should i put them and by how much will that boost performance?
also have boost controller in the list to get..any other suggestions? i want to make this car perfect,i know its not worth it,but i love these cars and we only live once and money comes and goes...and cars arnt meant to be an investment anyway.

MPG in the TT is a nightmare

i drove my '94 e320 & my old TT to peterborough and back and the TT used £20 worth of petrol and the e320 about £10

in the whole time i had the car i paid a kings ransom for people to do work to it and they were all virtually useless including TT themselfs who if they would have simply pressure tested it in mid 2007 would have found the problem and saved me a year and £1,500 in changing everything i could & paying people to look at it to resolve the problem, there are far too many people that even work with mercedes every day who really are clueless at diagnosing a fault on a TT as they are so rare and like others here have said a nighmare unless you know how they work

then i found a bloke in cambridge who was a bloody genius and by the time he left mercedes cambridge he was head mechanic and left after 23 years to start up on his own

he found the fault, fixed it and all in a week and cost me another £500 but worth every penny

liiive o, you have the reciept for the bloke at swift in cambridge and he is your best bet as he knows the car, knows turbos and more importantly actually gives a damn about the work he does as opposed to seemingly everyone else who were only after my money (none of which are on this forum or have any links to this forum)

liive o knows how much i spent on the car and how much i lost on the car, but he has the enthusiasm that i had lost to get it working 100% as owning a TT when you know bugger all about how they work is very hard

plus the bloke at swift is only about £45 an hour and for his skills he is worth double that

have you had the exhaust looked at as it might be letting out fuems where the cat used to be

if you do come to cambridge and leave the car with him and need a lift home let me know

also i said the car should run on v-power (or equivelant fuel) and you said you would just use normal unleaded, im sure i was told on here not to use normal unleaded (i could be wrong)

Last edited:
Ahh, I didn't realise this was GFP's car.
There's no reason for the TT car to use much more fuel than a normal car under normal conditions. Sure, if you boot it everywhere then you have an extra injector pumping in fuel but off/light boost your car might actually use LESS than a standard E320 because you're not running cats ;)
All I know is my car runs superbly and the only problem I now have is traction. I think I'm going to spend more on tyres than fuel :D
My advise would be to take the car to Essex and have a chat with Mark. He knows his turbos and can at least sort out any major problems prior to a rolling road tune. I have a spare TT controller (because I'm using SplitSecond). You can try it to eliminate that from your possible problems if you like.

Ahh, I didn't realise this was GFP's car

Ah, so it wasn't deja vu - we really have been here before!

I think the OP would do well to read the original thread. There's lots of good advice in there. It just needs to be followed

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

whats a tt controller?
gfp,i have been using v power,but it can run on normal unleaded as well sometimes,to be honest theres not much difference.
i will check the exhaust and probably change whole thing as its a rust bucket down there,a full stainless steel powerflow or remus might be right for it.

whats a tt controller?
The Turbo Technics electronics (for the additional injector) which should be located in the passenger footwell, under the carpet.
If you want it sorted properly then you really need the Split Second AIC1-A1L (£200+VAT) and an hour or two on a rolling road.
What happens if you disconnect the additional injector plug and run it at low revs (no boost)?
..it can run on normal unleaded as well sometimes,to be honest theres not much difference.
This car needs 98RON or above. Anything less and you risk engine damage.

This car needs 98RON or above. Anything less and you risk engine damage.

and normal unleaded is less than 98RON ?

i also fogot to add that this place was by far the best for advice as like a previous post said there is lots of help and put my mind at ease a few times and helped me understand a bit more about how the cars work

i thought the exhaust was a fully stainless steel one anyway

id like a new one on mine but ive now got 2 new wings to get and spray as they have rusted under the paint (did not see that one comming)

The Turbo Technics manual for my 300E TT confirms the requirement for minimum 98 RON "for knock-free operation and to prevent serious engine damage". That's V-Power (99) and equivalent. Normal unleaded is usually 95 -- or 97, as suggested above. I see that BP now has a 102 RON. There's more info here:

http://www.petrolprices.com/

'Tis the season for corrosion: the NSF wing of my W126 has just blistered on the side, near the front, below the indicator wraparound.

Last edited:
gfp,i have been using v power,but it can run on normal unleaded as well sometimes,to be honest theres not much difference.

The difference is the damage that is possibly occuring to the engine and you don't even know it's happening!

Forced induction engines require higher octane fuel or seriously retarded timing in boost to prevent detonation. IF the whole engine timing is retarded then fuel economy goes out of the window and the engines relies on its natural low down torque to disguise the fact.
Lots of throttle (though small in comparison to N/A engines) means a lot more fuel is injected and economy suffers.

You really need to get to grips with how the engine works to make the most of it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom