W124 E320 coupe twin turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liiive_o

Car
W124 E320 twin turbo coupe, E220 Coupe
hi everyone

i have a question to fellow 320 24v twin turbo owners...

20 pounds petrol @105p, 30 miles light on

is that normal?or something is really,really,really,really wrong here?

Could be right depends how you drive it? I always fill my 300-24 but the other day I just put £10 in to get me to work and back as the light came on and I had a 5p off for Tesco. Anyway I managed a whole 42miles on £10 in a standard car not Twin Turbo, I paid around the same 105p.

it may just be my early morning calculation ;) but doesnt that work out to be around 7mpg:eek:

The fuel consumption should be about the same as a regular E320.
Where were you, the Nurburgring? :D

Did you have an almost empty tank when the £20 went in?

Er - as a prospective W124 E320 coupe owner, what are the normal mpg figures that owners get?

liiive_o said:
20 pounds petrol @105p, 30 miles light on

is that normal?

The fuel reserve is 9 litres, at which point the light comes on.

Assuming tank was empty when you started:

You bought £20 @ 1.05 = 19.05 litres.

Warning light came on after you'd used 10 of them.

30 miles @ 10 litres = 13.6mpg. Still low, but I don't know how you drive.

pint6x said:
Er - as a prospective W124 E320 coupe owner, what are the normal mpg figures that owners get?

Well my car gets low 20's around town, and up to 27 on a run. I don't cane it at all but I use the performance.

I averaged around 26 mpg in mine and 33 once on a long run.

I occasionally do a mpg check just so I know car settings are still approx to spec.

Most recent check was June 2008 and involved 262 miles to visit Herefordshire for three days and back to Berkshire).

Driving involved Motorway, main road, country lanes, and several trips into city centre over the 3 days.

When i got home I brimed the fuel tank again and it worked out at 30.8 mpg overall.

Very pleased as the 1995 sales brochure states:

31.7 mpg at the 56 mph cycle and

26.2 mpg at the 75 mph cycle, for the 4 speed auto, which mine is.

It is a 320 coupe and has slightly wider wheels and tyres on it which will produce more drag than standard size wheels and tyres.

To do an accurate test you must brim the tank twice, at start and at end.

Apart from on mine it comes with a special limited edition one which lights up with c.20 litres left in it!:crazy:
I get 26.5 to 27 but that is mostly motorway stuff.

Last edited:

Assuming tank was empty when you started:

You bought £20 @ 1.05 = 19.05 litres.

Warning light came on after you'd used 10 of them.

30 miles @ 10 litres = 13.6mpg. Still low, but I don't know how you drive.

very true depends how full it was when he started, told you it was too early for that kind of calculation ;)

bigyin1 said:
very true depends how full it was when he started, told you it was too early for that kind of calculation ;)

Exactly.

However, we do know that he used not less than 10 litres. Therefore mpg is 13mpg at best...

I dont know if its just me here, but i really think that a twin-turbo 3.2 litre will consume slightly more than a N/A 3.2 litre no matter what... especially if u boot it.

I've driven for another 30 miles once, with my light on though... i'm assuming u can do something similar... (when the light comes on it doesn't mean your empty, just starting to use the reserve.)

I seem to get a constant ~18mpg from my 300-24, with mostly town driving.

very low 20's around town and maybe 28-30 on a run.

You dont buy a 320 for the fuel economy:D

My long-term average in the E320 Coupé is 26.43 mpg since 02/11/00. My current six-fill-ups average is 27.3. I would expect 30 on a long steady trip. The official figures (5-speed box) are 27.97 at 75 mph and 19.35 city cycle. I avoid very short trips and drive fairly gently.

The figure for my 300E twin turbo is 24 mpg since 23/05/06 and about the same for six fill-ups. I reckon a non-turbo equivalent should get more, the official figure being 27.14 at 75 mph and 21.24 city cycle.

I've owned my E320 for 6 or 7 years now and I don't think I've ever bothered to work out the fuel consumption. For the amount I drive it it doesn't really matter.

thanks for all the responses guys.

when i put the 20 in, the tank was almost empty,so im assuming some of the 20 went for the reserve,but its still ridiculous.
as for how i drove it,i have to admit,i did put my foot down occasionally..but im sure you can do that when you have a twin turbo and it wont drink petrol like a hummer.

the other day,light was on,i put in 15 and the light came on at 20 miles...and i dont remember driving stupidly.
theres always a smell of fuel around the car,sometimes even inside.
my E220 coupe gives me about 25mpg...and you can't really drive anyhow but slow in that car.

i was hoping this 320 will be around 20mpg .

i have some smoke coming out of the back,white/blueish,and its apparently because its over fuelling..maybe that could be the problem?

thanks for all the responses guys.

when i put the 20 in, the tank was almost empty,so im assuming some of the 20 went for the reserve,but its still ridiculous.
as for how i drove it,i have to admit,i did put my foot down occasionally..but im sure you can do that when you have a twin turbo and it wont drink petrol like a hummer.

the other day,light was on,i put in 15 and the light came on at 20 miles...and i dont remember driving stupidly.
theres always a smell of fuel around the car,sometimes even inside.
my E220 coupe gives me about 25mpg...and you can't really drive anyhow but slow in that car.

i was hoping this 320 will be around 20mpg .

i have some smoke coming out of the back,white/blueish,and its apparently because its over fuelling..maybe that could be the problem?

I'd get a garage with a wide-band lambda sensor to check the fuelling, ideally on a dyno to see what's its doing. If it's running really rich it should feel really fluffy as struggle a bit when on full throttle. If OK then should pull nice and cleanly and feel smooth. There are enough of them around in London that should be able to do that, if not let me know and i'll PM you someone with a dyno that will be able to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom