W124 e320 not engaging 5th gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, that should mean he has the throttle arrangement where you first adjust the throttle cable correctly and then adjust the pressure cable so the two little arrows line up?

(although if the up-changes ARE happening at the right point it suggests the pressure cable is OK? - suggesting vacuum connection as the next point to check)

So, that should mean he has the throttle arrangement where you first adjust the throttle cable correctly and then adjust the pressure cable so the two little arrows line up?

(although if the up-changes ARE happening at the right point it suggests the pressure cable is OK? - suggesting vacuum connection as the next point to check)

My thoughts exactly. I adjusted the pressure cable in the early days when all was working well and achieved an excellent result. Good changes all round and little arrows beautifully aligned.

It is the issue of good upward changes but very reluctant downward changes that got me thinking about vacuum.

On the way up (accelerating thus little vacuum) all is well, smooth changes at good points.

When I've slowed and depress the accelerator hoping for a rapid downchange like before, it's as if the 'box is completely unaware that I've slowed. It is not getting the message that vacuum has risen during slowdown and then fallen as I accelerate again and demand the downchange.

That's my interpretation. Does it make sense or are there other factors that control the box under these circumstances?

RayH

here is a go at uploading a picture.

it is the plug near the battery that needs checking for contact and corrosion.

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 128
wow, i feel so computer literate!

all these pics are from an n-reg 280 te

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 120
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 118
Can we make a deal?

Firstly, old kth 286 is a pretty good chap really. I'm sure he wants to get at the truth as do we all.

The deal: Please can the UK-based guys stop referring to "reg"? I could work it out but the year would be plain to all. I recall my V reg 450 SLC was 1980 but counting up to Phase 2 N-reg is bl@@dy tricky.

Reasonable?

RayH

PS: Unless Reg is one of the lads, of course!

Our Rover 2000 TC was E-reg. Damned nice car but off-topic here.

alexander

good to see you making progress on this.

can you post the missing numbers for the previous VIN please, as I want to look at the car spec.

I believe all 280 HFM engined cars were built for the Japan spec market.

here is a go at uploading a picture.

it is the plug near the battery that needs checking for contact and corrosion.

I can't seem to identify this plug. Perhaps I don't have one or it's elsewhere.

Any guidance please?

Do I need to remove the battery? I'm sure I've cleaned all plugs in that area but it would be super to find one I haven't.

Yours in hope.

RayH

hello ray. the car is 95-96 and hfm, so yours may have different loom and plugs.

kth286, i have pm-ed you the vin but it is not in my sent items, please pm me and post here if it does not arrive.

Different management.

hello ray. the car is 95-96 and hfm, so yours may have different loom and plugs.

Yes, you're probably right as mine's a '91 KE Jetronic.

Are there any electrical connections uderneath that I can't get to being so devoted to wine and food? I'll be able to get under the car as soon as I arrange an appointment at our local 'Controle Technique' (MOT) centre where the boss is keen to mess about with a 300CE - he asked me whether it's a diesel once.

A bientot.

RayH

i just cannot remember ray, there will be an electrical plug for the 4-5-4 solenoid, and a seperate single wire for the kickdown solenoid, maybe a speed sensor connection - i just can't remember!

if you are keen i suggest having a go at those fault codes, after all your car has the socket.

is it a diesel?? :D

Hi all ,

Im monitoring the thread still, unfortunately ive still not had a chance to apply all the useful knowledge.

Sorry for being so slow.

Hi Guys,

Ive had a look and my car does have pin 16 , guess I really should get an LED and some wire.

regards.

The pin in question is 13 - they all have 16 connected to live.
:crazy:I just realised my error everyone has pin16 , i also have pin 13 with a visible connector.:thumb:

Last edited:
from what i remember boomtings, your problem is most likely to be the gear stick microswitch. this will not show up as a fault, as someone (kth286?) has pointed out. the best way to determine if this switch is working would be with a multimeter.

good luck!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom