W124 E320 twin turbo Cabriolet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stick with your 500SL Mr E55BOF. I have experience of fettling enough stock W124s over the last few years to realise that you can spend multiple thousands on what look like good ones to get one to where it should be, and I know one chap who has spent close to £8k on parts and labour on his sportline E300 - 24. As to a TT - who knows what more needs doing?

No interest in taking sides between two cars I'm not interested in, but from my experience of W124 Sportline Cabrio ownership, a Blancmange with stiff suspension and a lot of horses does not make for the most satisfying driving experience...

Last edited:
Not far from me. Good colour, too. I'm beginning to wonder if I should give up on the R129 and go and see it; I'm a bit sick of fettling at the moment...

The most obvious downside for me (assuming it's mechanically sound and everything works) would be the lack of a hardtop, because my cars stand outdoors all year round.

Must...Resist... Quick, somebody, hit me with the sensible stick. Again! HARDER!

No need for the sensible stick, in a lot of ways the W124 Cabriolet is a lot more practicle and sensible than a R129 SL...

Granted you can basically rule out the option of a removable hardtop as they are soooo bloody rare, but really with the glass rear screen and triple lined softop, there almost isnt a need for a hardtop...

Couple that with the fact that its a proper genuine 4 seater convertible (4 adults at that!), they make sense in a alot of ways....

As you will know, engine wise there wasnt really alot other than the E220 E320, so this twin turbo version should really make make the transition from your 500 to a w124 Cab abit easier....

I personally think both will look stunning together!;)

No need for the sensible stick after all; the car doesn't have air conditioning, and the SL does, and I wouldn't buy a car without that nowadays. Sad, I know...

Mr. Morgan, thank you for your very useful input. The SL feels quite taut, and actually handles quite decently - much better than the E55K, and the power is much more controllably accessible too - and I rather like it. I do like cars with a good slug of power - that's what put me into a Mercedes in the first place - but blancmanges don't appeal terribly unless there's LOTS of power :devil:.

Dee, the practicality is not relevant; though my 'other' car, whatever it may be, will get used at least weekly all year round, my daily driver has to remain a big estate - I have two dogs who insist upon it...

has it sold???
gone from ebay, but still on car and classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom