W124 E60 AMG £20k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd fly out to Finland and drive a car back...

Nick Froome

+1

Jay, fly us both out there and we'll do shift driving without stopping.
I'm sure Nick wouldn't mind napping in a lovely E60 seat. :D

I fear the cost of petrol would be more than your shipping quote. My right foot gets quite heavy in anything without a cdi badge on the boot! :devil:

I'm no expert , and I will bow to those who are , but how can you tell it is tired from looking at the pictures.

I keep looking at them and it looks ok to me , maybe the seat bolster is a little flat , but that's all I can see honestly

:dk:

I'm with you.

I guess his up front description is a break from the norm.

Thanks alll..

Am I being bullied into buying this car?

Thanks for all of the offers of driving it back!

I am very interested but have done enough cars up to know the cost of putting a tired car right...

Therefore at his price it is simply not worth it, it would be better to spend an extra 10K and buy one of the ones mentioned which is already mint, mileage doesnt really matter to a point.

Lets face it, a restored car is never the same as a perfect original car, no matter how hard you try and how much money you throw at it.

This car is also in the middle of nowhere and even if members were to drive it back for me, the costs of this would easily be around £2K id say.. then ive got to get it registered over here.

Then we have to assume that the mechanicals are absolutely perfect and will make that long drive back!? Again ive owned enough old mercedes to know that it only takes a seal to fail in the wrong place at the wrong time to ruin your week!

With all of that in mind I have made an offer but im not going to haggle at all. I know what its worth now and I know what ill spend and I know what it should be worth after.

It does state code 958 there which is what matters
Purist would prefer a 957 + 958 build which is the E60 limited factory produced.

So if I got this right the car in question is a limited E500 which is converted to E60 later on? E60 limited should have both 957 and 958 codes?

Correct! However, still a worthy conversion.

Thanks alll..

Am I being bullied into buying this car?

Thanks for all of the offers of driving it back!

I am very interested but have done enough cars up to know the cost of putting a tired car right...

Therefore at his price it is simply not worth it, it would be better to spend an extra 10K and buy one of the ones mentioned which is already mint, mileage doesnt really matter to a point.

Lets face it, a restored car is never the same as a perfect original car, no matter how hard you try and how much money you throw at it.

This car is also in the middle of nowhere and even if members were to drive it back for me, the costs of this would easily be around £2K id say.. then ive got to get it registered over here.

Then we have to assume that the mechanicals are absolutely perfect and will make that long drive back!? Again ive owned enough old mercedes to know that it only takes a seal to fail in the wrong place at the wrong time to ruin your week!

With all of that in mind I have made an offer but im not going to haggle at all. I know what its worth now and I know what ill spend and I know what it should be worth after.

The cost of driving it back is not going to be £2k. It will be around £1k: ferry to Germany from Hanko takes a day and then from Germany to France and chunnel to UK. Anyways, if I would be in Your (or prospective buyers) shoes I wouldn't drive the car to UK from Finland 1st of all due to time but mainly due to the weather. Instead I'd fly over to see the car (roundtrip around £100 as mentioned), and if I would like what I see I would pay around £800 to ship it to UK which takes three days.

I haven't seen an offer though - unless You meant the offer that I drive the car there? Yes, I can do that if You give me 10% non refundable deposit. No-one - not even me - is that crazy that would drive the car for someone to kick tires and then that someone would say: "Yeah, good but I'm not going to buy it. Now drive it back. Thanks".

Anyways the discussion is academic at best as it is clear Jay doesn't want to buy this car with the price what I want.

It was a nice discussion nevertheless so thanks for that guys ;)

edit: Jay, OK I have received Your offer but I have to say thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:
Purist would prefer a 957 + 958 build which is the E60 limited factory produced.

Correct! However, still a worthy conversion.

Agreed 100%. Definitely a worthy conversation and I have learned quite a bit myself in the process as well.

Somehow can't modify my previous message anymore?

Anyways the estimate of that You would have to spend £10k to make the car perfect appears highly inflated to me. Or then it is evident that the car must be a total POS - which is not the case.

Don't believe Jay is calling your car a POS; his 10k is just what he would spend to get things absolutely pukka. Search on here some of the projects he has undertaken and you will see what we mean.

Don't misunderstand us either, we all love your car

Don't believe Jay is calling your car a POS; his 10k is just what he would spend to get things absolutely pukka. Search on here some of the projects he has undertaken and you will see what we mean.

Don't misunderstand us either, we all love your car

I still have a hard time believing it would take £ 10k to bring things to absolutely pukka ;) I would say between £ 3-5k is much more realistic. But then again all this is subjective into an extent. Of course only sky is the limit in these things.

Indeed however I repeat; check what he did to the old 123 he has for instance. Jay would EASILY spend 10k on a project.

Somehow can't modify my previous message anymore?

Anyways the estimate of that You would have to spend £10k to make the car perfect appears highly inflated to me. Or then it is evident that the car must be a total POS - which is not the case.

I don`t think Jay said that or I`m missing something here

I don`t think Jay said that or I`m missing something here

No he did not and I wasn't implying anything like that. If it came out like I have implied something like that it wasn't my intention.

I was just saying that if one needs to spend £10k to this car then the car is evidently a POS - which it is not in my opinion but then again You can call me biased :)

In my view £3-5k is enough. Opinion is like the famous a-hole - everyone has one :)

Indeed however I repeat; check what he did to the old 123 he has for instance. Jay would EASILY spend 10k on a project.

I checked the W123 resto-project that Jay has carried out. Nice project there.

I am sure he can spend 10k on a project - however as he said that my E60 would need 10k to put into it I have hard time believing.

I am sure he can spend 10k on a project - however as he said that my E60 would need 10k to put into it I have hard time believing.

The way I see it,he said he would rather spend an extra 10k and get one that needs nothing doing to it,he never said your car needs 10k spent on

The way I see it,he said he would rather spend an extra 10k and get one that needs nothing doing to it,he never said your car needs 10k spent on

OK that might have been unintentionally a bit misleading from my part then:

When he made his offer to me (via email) he stated that he will easily spend £10k on the car to make it perfect

But all in all good luck finding that mint E60 for £25k. Now it's quite easy to make the math what the offer was - including delivery :D

Last edited:
Hi 930,

Just to clarify, your car doesnt need 10K spending, but I would spend £10k making it the car I would want it to be... trust me £10K doesnt get you a lot when doing these cars up... I have done a few now. Small things just add up.
Any car dealer will spend 2-3K and make it saleable but thats not my plan for it.

I will think about coming over to see the car in person and going from there, but at the moment I simply don't have the time... If you still have it in a few weeks when my work will be quieter, ill catch a flight over... In the meantime im going to look into the shipping as driving it back just doesnt seem sensible..

Hi 930,

Just to clarify, your car doesnt need 10K spending, but I would spend £10k making it the car I would want it to be... trust me £10K doesnt get you a lot when doing these cars up... I have done a few now. Small things just add up.
Any car dealer will spend 2-3K and make it saleable but thats not my plan for it.

I will think about coming over to see the car in person and going from there, but at the moment I simply don't have the time... If you still have it in a few weeks when my work will be quieter, ill catch a flight over... In the meantime im going to look into the shipping as driving it back just doesnt seem sensible..

Hey Jay,

Sure thing no worries. Take Your time with this - I do understand that You have a business to run which takes time of course and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon as it is a very niche car.

I checked the shipping from this end (posted in this thread as well) and the cheapest option was about £ 800 from Hanko to Tilbury and the ship sails on Tuesdays and arrives on Fridays.

Thats pretty quick shipping, even I could live with that! Ok we will talk further.

Just double check for various port handling fees at either end. I'd assume the £800 is just the shipping fee and not the handling at either end or the documentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom