W124 ECU refurbishment advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

After a fairly intense trouble shooting episode I have isolated the cause of the misfire on my E320 to the engine ECU

I now need to get my ecu repaired, it apparently needs the transistors that fire the coil packs (another language to me) replacing , common fault.

I have found a guy on the isle of wight who can do it, but before I post my ecu into the ether I wondered if anyone here has any experience with this, or maybe a company they can recommend

Thanks a lot

Posted it to the ECU doctor on Tuesday and it was back with me on Friday at 09:00.

Fitted it to the car and it runs well again.

Total cost including VAT and postage £261. This could have been £20 cheaper but I elected to have other components that weren't faulty replaced as belt and braces.

Can't recommend them enough, thank you Grover for the pointer

That's great. Lovely to know there is a reasonable alternative to replacing with dear new or untrustworthy old.

Posted it to the ECU doctor on Tuesday and it was back with me on Friday at 09:00.

Fitted it to the car and it runs well again.

Total cost including VAT and postage £261. This could have been £20 cheaper but I elected to have other components that weren't faulty replaced as belt and braces.

Can't recommend them enough, thank you Grober for the pointer

You might want to also consider replacing whichever of the 3 ignition coils wasn't firing. Its possible a faulty coil caused the premature demise of one of the ignition transistors in which case the ECU may fail again. [I note that you have already replaced the wiring loom.] The coil part no I have is A 0001587003 but check against your chassis no?

Its the belt and braces approach really as it may simply be an ECU transistor failure but worth considering??:dk:

I used the ECU doctor on my 'very well documented' Pajero Engine Timing fault that was sorted by the wonderful Simon Brown (Carat 3.6)

The ECU Doctor team were brilliant and went way beyond what I would have expected. This included mailing Simon a hardcopy of the ECU pin outs that are not available online. They also offered to loan us a their test ECU to prove our fault and spent considerable time on the telephone talking thru their diagnosis.

It transpired that my ECU was faultless. They returned it quickly and only charged a minimal flat fee despite all their work and effort.

I would use them again without any hesitation and encourage others to do so.

I wish I had used them for my BOSCH ABS controller, instead of using BBA, who are just around the corner from me. Big mistake that I will not repeat.

grober said:
You might want to also consider replacing whichever of the 3 ignition coils wasn't firing. Its possible a faulty coil caused the premature demise of one of the ignition transistors in which case the ECU may fail again. The coil part no I have is A 0001587003 but check against your chassis no? Its the belt and braces approach really as it may simply be an ECU transistor failure but worth considering??:dk:

Indeed, I've just replaced all the coilsso hopefully it'll be ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom