W124 electric aerial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Indian W124

Car
W124
Dear All,

I am once again appealing to all W124 experts for a little advice and a helping hand.

I am in the process of trying to put a few things right on my fathers Indian built W124 and this leads me to the electric aerial. This hasn’t worked for years but I remember it being a glorious device that really impressed me back in its operational days. Compared to the horrible BL pull out jobs you used to see - this had a wow factor, or maybe I just needed to get out more……

Anyhow from some general research it seems that this should be a Hirschmann electric aerial and I notice that these are available on eBay. Can anyone help me distinguish which one it actually is that I require to get a like for like replacement?

It would appear that there is a marking of either “ho4 or “h64” written on the domed tip at the end but I cant even be sure its either of these as it looks a little like hieroglyphics.

I have read somewhere that it is also worth getting a new rubber shroud for the base that direct from Mercedes – I don’t know if anyone can also advise on this at all? Mine doesn’t look that bad but if its only a few pounds maybe it is worth doing the two at the same time?

Attachments

• aerial.JPG
    aerial.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 71
Masts are about £19 from the dealer and the rubber boot is about £7.50. The top boot won't want to stay on if the inner bit is broken or missing

Nick Froome

Hi Nick,

Thanks so much for responding. That seems an unbelievable deal!!! So if I pop into my local Merc dealer I should be able to walk away with a new aerial and the rubber boot for under £30?

I think that what has happened is that over the years the aerial has got muck and rubbish over it and this has slowly stopped the aerial serenely slidding and the motor cant budge it.

Im assiming that the price you quote doesnt include the mechanism - just the aerial itself which can be attached to the mechanism?

Hi Nick,

Thanks so much for responding. That seems an unbelievable deal!!! So if I pop into my local Merc dealer I should be able to walk away with a new aerial and the rubber boot for under £30?

I think that what has happened is that over the years the aerial has got muck and rubbish over it and this has slowly stopped the aerial serenely slidding and the motor cant budge it.

Im assiming that the price you quote doesnt include the mechanism - just the aerial itself which can be attached to the mechanism?

The mast has a long "tape cable" that feeds into the motor mechanism..it can be installed from the top and should work fine as long as your motor/gearing are intact...

Go down to Antenna section 82-8105, 82-8200 on the below link:

82 Lights, Wipers, Radio, Antenna, Misc Body Electrics

Ed A. :thumb:

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all your help

Yep they built them in India - I have popped what I know about it on another thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom