W124 electric aerial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
W124, W108
Hi All

So onto the next job....

Noticed the electric aerial on my w124 300E 1991 was not working. The radio comes on but just a load of white noise, and I could not get the aerial to go up.

I took a look behind the liner in the boot, and noticed an un-connected red wire.

So the only wires that were connected were a black wire which I think is earth connected to the metal frame.

The blue cable coming out of the aerial unit to connected to the brown wire coming out from the other side of the boot.

I removed the aerial after several hours, the nut holding it in places just kept spinning and I couldn't get to the other side to hold it whilst trying to unscrew it.

Finally removed the aerial unit.

So from the aerial unit there are 3 wires. Blue, red and black.

I could get the aerial to go up by connecting the red and brown wire, and then touching the blue wire (read on other forums this the wire that makes the aerial go up and down) to both the red and brown wire. If I take the blue wire off then the aerial goes back down.

I removed the stereo system unit, and could see a 2 brown wire that were not connected. Looks like some electrical tape was either holding them joined together or one end was taped off...

So what I would like to know is how do I correctly wire the aerial unit to the 1 brown wire coming from behind the boot area.... ?

red permanently live- black earth - blue powered with radio on- there should be a connection at the back of the radio for this blue wire leading to the boot you need to check your radio connections at the rear for presence of this activate signal Connections at the radio rear will depend on the radio manufacturer. in some radios there may be an internal fuse for this radio "activate" signal which may have blown/

If I connect the red wire to the brown wire, and then connect the blue wire to both the red and brown wire in the boot area, turn key to position 1, and power on the radio the aerial goes up.
However it does not go down when I power the radio off. The only way to get it to go down is by removing the blue wire from the red and brown wires.

A couple of pics to see if anyone knows where I am going wrong....

Attachments

• IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    731.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi grober

Panasonic R113G

MODEL NO. CQ-R113GLEN

Not sure about the IDEN - there are some etched numbers on the metal case starting FA

Heres a diagram of the standard iso connectors for a car radio You need a connection from A5 to that blue antenna wire

1280px-ISO_connectors_for_head_unit_in_car.JPG

330px-ISO_10487_connector_pinout.svg.png

Thanks Grober. I had a look, and can only see 1 cable coming out into the boot area on my w124. I was expecting 2 cables. 1 being the blue cable coming from behind the radio.

Looks like I am stuck with this for now. Manually touching the blue cable from the aerial to the red and brown wire to raise it, and wrapping it around both. And then when i want it to go down I just remove the blue cable.

Hi...I have introduced a post-retail radio and I'm attempting to introduce the FM radio aeronautical wiring yet I get no gathering.

I have a Connects2 connector with a coaxial fitting and a blue wire that interfaces with the vehicle bridle.

To the extent I get it, the blue wire should be associated with a 12v source. Am I right in expecting to be that?

WHATS THE RADIO MODEL -MAKE/MODEL AND HAVE YOU GOT INSTALL /MANUAL CIRCUIT FOR IT?

WHICH W124 CAR MODEL/ YEAR HAVE YOU GOT

In the boot you should have 3 wires (original wiring loom) the brown is earth the red/white is constant power and the black is the switched live from the head unit. (should be connected to pin A5 on the ISO block with the offset clip). The generic aerial connections are red, power positive and the black chassis earth with the blue as the switched positive input from the head unit.
The way you have it wired is that you have shorted the constant power and the switched power together thereby overriding the head unit auto switching. The aerial goes up with power on the blue and retracts when disconnected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom